Has anyone ever dealt with gabbard farms?

viajunior

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I didn't know where to put it. Anyway I ordered 2 24 packs of assorted eggs from gabbard farms and nearly 3/4 of the eggs were rotten when they arrived which leads me to believe they gave me old eggs. Has anyone ever purchased from them with same or different results? Any input would be helpful. I know they can't guarantee hatch rate or even fertility but the eggs we rotten? Can I even try to get my money back??

Do you mean they smelled bad when you got them? Or just clear? Were they on time?
I received some last week from them.Came on time and well packed none broke plus they let me substitute 2 others breeds instead of all of the one breed listed in the auction..
Will candle tomorrow at day 7 and repost let you know how mine are.
I have 32 eggs in the bator Eggs from 4 different ppl 10 from them .
It smells kind of eggy but not rotten in there.Before had a lot less eggs in my bator , didnt have an eggy smell then Dont know if that is a bad egg or just al ot of eggs.
I would certainly let them know 3/4 of your many eggs were rotten when they came .
See what they have to say or if the offer you more since you just got them.
If they say they were good and not bad when they left them i dont know what you can do to prove they left bad .
Just stay away from them from now on if they arent sympathetic and maybe offer you some money back . as a good will gesture
I have never had that problem and they do say if they dont hatch it could be shipping incubation etc.. but dont know about rotten That seems like a whole other ballgame

No they were bad, like they smelt rotten and I actually cracked a few and they were horrid. Spoiled. Never heard anything but good things about them so I was puzzled.

Well i canded my eggs today and all were ok even the gabbard farms far as i can tell good and progressing so far. Day 7 on them. I had one leaker but pretty sure it wasnt from them, someplace else as i was thinking of you and your eggs when i candled
I dont know what could have happend there.I willtellyouileter if idont get a hatch or they die soon etc.
Were they all different breeds that stunk?or one.?
They may have accidentally added some bad one they picked out to throw away to the good pile thinking they were new collected.

Did you email them or call? I would and tell them you even cracked them right away and they stunk.Thats a lot of money 24 eggs 1/3rd good . If you wait too long to contact them they will just think you candled and said that to get more eggs back for the ones that might be iffy.

I had a similar experience with them as well. 5 were stinky/rotten and were thrown out within 3 days of them arriving (package arrived in 2 days). I believe those were very old eggs and were not freshly collected.

I also had a ridiculous amount of zero development out of the same shipment (clear when candled on day 12). I cannot say whether they were ever fertile to begin with. There are a lot of factors to consider when purchasing shipped eggs, however. I don't blame Gabbard for 14/24 clear eggs (mine plus the eggs I gave to a friend here on the forum, as hers were clear too, aside from 2). So - 14 clear eggs and 5 rotten ones upon arrival, out of 24 left me with 5/24 developing eggs. One of those quit by the second day incubating....leaving me with 4 developing embryos out of an order of 24.

That being said - Julie of Gabbard Farms e-mailed me within about 8 hours of my "sadface" email and offered to send another miscellaneous shipment of 24 LF purebred eggs and the only thing she asked of me was the cost of shipping.

I declined her offer due to the fact that I have NO proof that it was anything Gabbard Farms did or did not do, and therefore I feel it would be unjust to accept the offer. It may very well have been the postal system in regard to the clear eggs.

The rotten ones I do believe were quite old and collected well out of the fertile time range...but...I'm not raising a stink about 5 stinky eggs.

Would I order from Gabbard Farms again? Initially I said " no way! " However - after their very apologetic and generous e-mail in response to mine - Yes, I will probably give their eggs another try in the future (when we have more room for more chickens)

Last edited:
I ordered from them once....my experince was ok. I got all the eggs in a timely manner, and only one was cracked, but i got two extras so that was fine. The way they packed them for shipping was pretty good...however only 5 chicks hatched out of 24 eggs. It's always either the postal system that messes them up, or the eggs being no good. But the postal system is usualy the one to blame since there is no guarantee by the seller that all the eggs will hatch. But I have heard really good stuff about them, and others who just had terrible experiences. Their service is not consistent, its always different for everybody, but my experince with them was ok.

Back
Top Bottom