Hatching chicks and ducklings under broody hen at the same time

TheAlarmCluck

The Loudest Chicken In Town
Premium Feather Member
Mar 23, 2021
The Poconos (The Best Place Ever)
Our Black Orpington has gone broody again!!! She just finished raising her first batch of chicks! :jumpy:sick
We tried everything possible to break her broodiness, but it didn't work. We even tried to give her some 2-day-olds from tractor supply, but she refused to accept them (we are raising them in the brooder now). So we finally decided to let her hatch eggs, even with the winter coming soon.
We decided that it was time for some ducks, so we bought 6 assorted duck hatching eggs from eBay. We picked them up from the post office. The packaging was perfectly done, and we gave the eggs to our broody the same day (as they had already been sitting pointy side down in the post office for 24 hours). We gave her the eggs just this morning. She gladly accepted.
Our cockerels have started mating the hens, and we are pretty sure the eggs are fertilized. So we had an idea. Would it work if we let her brood chick eggs and duck eggs at the same time? I Googled it, and apparently it is possible in incubators if you put the chick eggs in 7 days later (because duck eggs take 7 days longer to hatch than chicks). However, I couldn't find anything about doing it with a broody.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Did it work out?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for reading!
:D:thumbsup

You have to put the chicken eggs under 7 days later. Most hens won't set that long with babies already hatched.

You also run the risk of her killing some off because they look different.
Thanks for the info. I never knew that a hen would kill some of the chicks/ducklings because they look different. I'll have to look into that topic.
Thanks! :thumbsup

Thanks for the info. I never knew that a hen would kill some of the chicks/ducklings because they look different. I'll have to look into that topic.
Thanks! :thumbsup
I have hens that kill off chicks because they're different colors than the others. I can only imagine ones that have different mouths, colors and languages would be a target for those same hens

Our Black Orpington has gone broody again!!! She just finished raising her first batch of chicks! :jumpy:sick
We tried everything possible to break her broodiness, but it didn't work. We even tried to give her some 2-day-olds from tractor supply, but she refused to accept them (we are raising them in the brooder now). So we finally decided to let her hatch eggs, even with the winter coming soon.
We decided that it was time for some ducks, so we bought 6 assorted duck hatching eggs from eBay. We picked them up from the post office. The packaging was perfectly done, and we gave the eggs to our broody the same day (as they had already been sitting pointy side down in the post office for 24 hours). We gave her the eggs just this morning. She gladly accepted.
Our cockerels have started mating the hens, and we are pretty sure the eggs are fertilized. So we had an idea. Would it work if we let her brood chick eggs and duck eggs at the same time? I Googled it, and apparently it is possible in incubators if you put the chick eggs in 7 days later (because duck eggs take 7 days longer to hatch than chicks). However, I couldn't find anything about doing it with a broody.
Has anyone ever tried this before? Did it work out?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks for reading!
:D:thumbsup
It sounds like a plan!!!
Also your signature is AWESOME!

It sounds like a plan!!!
Also your signature is AWESOME!
Thanks!
This post is a little outdated. Our Black Orpington successfully hatched 5/6 ducklings. We decided not to try with the chick eggs, as ducks would already be a new thing for us.
The little ducklings hatched perfectly and are doing well!
Their mama doesn't even care when they go for a swim!
:wee

Thanks!
This post is a little outdated. Our Black Orpington successfully hatched 5/6 ducklings. We decided not to try with the chick eggs, as ducks would already be a new thing for us.
The little ducklings hatched perfectly and are doing well!
Their mama doesn't even care when they go for a swim!
:wee
Awwww!!!! That's so cute! I'm glad that you had such a great hatch rate! Have fun with the duckies!!!! Quack Quack!

Back
Top Bottom