Has anyone ever had a chick that.....

chickensioux

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Western North Carolina
I got these chicks 2 weeks ago from McMurray. All of them survived shipping, all have thrived beautifully but one
She always has runny, crusty eyes (no smell, no other discharges)
She has not grown much at all (1/2 the size of the others now)
She eats and drinks just fine
Poops are normal
Preens herself
Everything about her is normal except her size and her eyes crusting shut.
I wash her face and get her eyes open again.
I will not cull because she is not suffering and no one else is affected.
I guess my question is: Has anyone ever had a chick like this that survived and got normal?

I just replied to a post simular to yours, I had a couple chics with goopy crustie eyes, as i was telling other BYC memeber I went to Wal-Mart and got this lubricant called Purablube Ointment , (Petrolatum Ophthlmic Ointment Sterile Ocular Lubricant) was 2-3 dollars i would soak the eye with warm water and get all the crusty stuff off first then apply just right over the eye and all around you might want to even consider antibotics in water for a few days, i did not do antibotics because i got such good results with just cleaning couple times a day and applying that Puralube Ointment, hope this helps

Dixie
jumpy.gif

Dixie told me about that petroleum ointment and I used it on my biddies eyes and she opened one eye slightly so it is working! I put it on her eyes every couple hours. I will let you know when it is completely resolved and both eyes are completely opened! Thank you again Dixie. BTW- My chicks came from McMurray Hatchery too.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom