Has anyone ever had a chick that.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensioux, Apr 12, 2009.

1. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I got these chicks 2 weeks ago from McMurray. All of them survived shipping, all have thrived beautifully but one
    She always has runny, crusty eyes (no smell, no other discharges)
    She has not grown much at all (1/2 the size of the others now)
    She eats and drinks just fine
    Poops are normal
    Preens herself
    Everything about her is normal except her size and her eyes crusting shut.
    I wash her face and get her eyes open again.
    I will not cull because she is not suffering and no one else is affected.
    I guess my question is: Has anyone ever had a chick like this that survived and got normal?

2. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    anyone?

3. DixieDame67

DixieDame67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Jonesbourgh Tennessee
    I just replied to a post simular to yours, I had a couple chics with goopy crustie eyes, as i was telling other BYC memeber I went to Wal-Mart and got this lubricant called Purablube Ointment , (Petrolatum Ophthlmic Ointment Sterile Ocular Lubricant) was 2-3 dollars i would soak the eye with warm water and get all the crusty stuff off first then apply just right over the eye and all around you might want to even consider antibotics in water for a few days, i did not do antibotics because i got such good results with just cleaning couple times a day and applying that Puralube Ointment, hope this helps

Dixie [​IMG]

4. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Thank you, I absolutely will try it!!!

5. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Could she be a bantam? The 1/2 size comment caught my eye. [​IMG] My 4-week-old bantam is about 1/3 the size of my other 4-week-old chicks. [​IMG]

6. Bagdad Chicken Mom

Bagdad Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Milton, Florida
    Dixie told me about that petroleum ointment and I used it on my biddies eyes and she opened one eye slightly so it is working! I put it on her eyes every couple hours. I will let you know when it is completely resolved and both eyes are completely opened! Thank you again Dixie. BTW- My chicks came from McMurray Hatchery too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  7. Bagdad Chicken Mom

Bagdad Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Milton, Florida
    [​IMG]:)[​IMG] Horray!!! My bitties both eyes are opened now! I will continue to put the petroleum ointment on them. A very happy new chicken Mom. To Dixie-[​IMG]

8. chickensioux

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I immediately went out and bought that cream too. It definately is keeping her eyes open and she is flitting around very happily. Thanks again!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by