Has anyone ever had fluid on the lungs? *Update*

I am very interested in the outcome/diagnosis. I have COPD caused from chronic bronchitis and pnuemonia. I am still young, but would really like to know her diagnosis. I hope she is OK.
hugs.gif

Anything that impairs circulation can cause fluid accumulation, particularly in the case of COPD or CHF (congestive heart failure). Most cases of pulmonary edema are due to one of these, not cancer. Have your mom see a different doctor ASAP.

get another doctor.... First thought in an elderly person is COPD! Cancer is about third maybe fourth on the list. Went through it with my dad and then myself. mine was pregnancy! Pretty sure she's not preggers, huh??
lol.png

But, even then cancer was never mentioned. There are half a dozen things that can cause fluid retention like that but COPD, COPD, COPD would have been my first, second and third thoughts!

Kidneys, UTIs, Other circulatory issues especially knowing that she is diabetic!

Count me incredulous!
th.gif

She is lucky to have you as an advocate. I have seen with my own eyes doctors who treat elderly patients as if their health issues are a normal part of aging and should not be treated as they should expect to die soon anyway.
rant.gif

Wow..just got a call from her lung doctor. He must read BYC cause they are setting up an appointment with a Thorasic surgeon and having her take a CT scan also. He said they needed to find out where the fluid is coming from. DUH!
th.gif
He must have read my "Ramblings" and knew I was about to come after him with a billy club!
5.gif

Thanks for all the support. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Here's an update for anyone interested...Took my DM to the cardiologist Wed and they did an echocardiogram and a CT scan and found several spots on her lung. They are confused now because every fluid test they have done has come up negative for cancer and pneumonia. Usually the fluid tests will show if it's cancer. So next Tuesday they are going to do a biopsy on her lung and also put a tube in her chest so we can drain the fluid ourselves instead of going to the hospital every week. (she has been drained 4 times in the last month) I'll let ya'll know what we find out. Think of her in your prayers
smile.png

Thanks!

i'm so sorry about your mom! my thoughts are with you and her!
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
This brings back bad memories. My mother had fluid accumulating in the sac around the lungs. She was drained several times.

The next winter, we made her sleep under an electric blanket, and she was fine. No fluid problems.

However, she developed adhesions that restricted the ability of her lungs to expand and contract. They formed at the spots where the drainage tube had been inserted.

She was operated upon to remove the adhesions, but died soon afterward. Her death certificate said that she had congestive heart failure. That was the first time we had heard she had a heart problem.

Sometimes I think doctors don't tell you everything, especially if there is no remedy to the problem.

Also, remember the whole process is driven by insurance companies, and they are out to make money. They limit what tests and procedures can be used.

Go to a different doctor and don't mention insurance, but offer to pay out of your own pocket. When your wallet comes out, so does the truth.

Good Luck,

Rufus

Last edited:
You have had lots of really good advice from the posts.....all I will add is that I will keep you and your Mom in my prayers and hope that she recovers speedily.... God Bless ...
hugs.gif

Has anyone heard anymore about charmed one's Mom?

I was going along and wondering, thought I'd stop by to read up.

Your in our thoughts and prayers Charmed one!

Sorry I haven't let you know what was going on. I had to take my DF to the VA this week for a checkup and dealing with my DM's lung Dr has me drained. They took the biopsy on the 14th. We didn't get the results until the 23th. He says she has the "garden variety" lung cancer. His words, not mine. This guy is a real jerk.
barnie.gif
I have told him throughout this whole thing that I didn't think it was cancer. This really irked him because I wouldn't take his word for it. He acts like his "expertise" has never been questioned before. I am so glad we will not have to deal with him again. What's funny is it took so long to get the results back. He told me they had to consult with the Mayo clinic for the diagnosis. I'm not sure what that means or if I believe anything he says. Mom is being refered to the Kansas City Cancer Center as we speak and I know whatever she has, she will get good care there. Really, with the way our relationship is with Dr. Doom, I am still not convinced she has cancer. I may be going through denial, I know, but until I get a Dr. I actually trust tell me the low down, this is how I am going to feel. I'm here to tell you, always question what Dr's are doing to you and make yourself informed. As my DH says, "Half of the Dr's practicing medicine today, graduated in the lower 50% of their class! I'm sure that's where Dr. Doom was. Anyway, mom is feeling pretty good. She was sore after the biopsy, but the fluid has not come back and she has not had to be drained since the 8th. That's another thing. We didn't let them put in the drain tube becauce the fluid had stopped coming back. Dr Doom was not pleased about that either. Well, I'm rambling...Oh..I guess I'm in the right place for that! Thanks for listening and I will keep you guys updated as things happen. Thanks for all of the prayers too. I know they help!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom