has anyone ever had this happen

orlandoluv1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
spring valley , CA
well last night was night 17 and i did my final candling right... well as i was holding the egg with my flashlight underneath it... i swear this happened... the chick tried to peck at the light. i felt him twice peck at the egg. am i losing it? lol has this happened to anyone else?

Maybe he was just moving, but maybe he was pecking at the light. At this point, the chick will have it's head folded around under a wing so it can't really move that much and is probably getting positioned to put the beat towards the air cell. So maybe it was pecking at the light, or just wondering why it got so bright all the sudden!

I had one in a lighter colored shell that I swear looked right at me, and I could just about see its face. Its head shot up so fast it scared me, and I almost dropped the egg.

I am on day fifteen, exactly what should I be seeing? I have 14 banty eggs in, I know of one that is no good, but the others have something in them, but I can only see 3 move. The others look really dark in there, but I can see a good aircell. Should I see movement at this point or will it just take up the whole egg? I have never hatched before so this is a first for me well a second...the first time the eggs were not fertile.

Last edited:
Quote:
well as long as you see veins then i wouldnt mess too much wiht them. i am currnetly on day 18 and i remeber on day 15 not seeing as much movement as i had before. i think its becuas ethey are just too big. so that being said... at this point if you see veins and the air cell just leave them they are probably ggod. and sometimes they just sleep. dont worry about it too much. easier said then done huh?lol

Quote:
gig.gif

Quote:
well as long as you see veins then i wouldnt mess too much wiht them. i am currnetly on day 18 and i remeber on day 15 not seeing as much movement as i had before. i think its becuas ethey are just too big. so that being said... at this point if you see veins and the air cell just leave them they are probably ggod. and sometimes they just sleep. dont worry about it too much. easier said then done huh?lol

lol....yes easier said than done. It looks like one big black glob in there, maybe it's my flashlight.

Quote:

lol....yes easier said than done. It looks like one big black glob in there, maybe it's my flashlight.

thats all i see. once they get that big it is really hard to candle them becuse they take up most of the egg. its hard to see anythingin there.

So if you see a clear & large air cell at the big end, but some clearish fluis at the pointy end, and no movement in the dark blob in the middle.. Does that mean the baby died? I had one at day 18 look like that. Should'nt the dark fill up the pointy end by then?

Back
Top Bottom