has anyone ever notice their pullets behavior when they start going broody.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
my first broody pullet would start flapping her wings and start cackling and take off running.my thoughts were what in the world is wrong.than one day she took off running and went in the coop and went into the nest box.than i fiqured it out.she's broody.than i had another one doing the same thing.she has been sitting on a egg for three weeks.i feel bad its not real.i dont have roosters.pullet #3 is acting in the same manner.i raised these pullets from peeps in the spring.they are now seven months old.I have three older hens that have never went broody.and laid all through the winter.(they are redstars).is it not the wrong time of the year for chickens to go broody?

Usually they go broody in the spring but i have a golden comet and a silkie that are broody right now and have been fighting over the same nest box.

I have a broody splash orpington and two broody blue orpingtons right now. Last year I had four broody around this time.

I have a Sussex who just recently went broody for the fifth time in her one-year old life. I told her it was the wrong time of year, but she refused to listen to me. Irritable behavior, including annoying the rest of the flock, sudden flapping of wings, and an almost constant "whoop, whoop, whoop" are all part of it. If you can deprive her of a nest to snuggle down into, she'll get over it in a few days.

Back
Top Bottom