Has anyone ever planted a tree in their run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gale65, Jun 30, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I was thinking about getting some kind of tree to plant in the run for shade. I know I'd have to put some fencing around it at first to keep them from killing it. Anyone done this? Any suggestions for fast growing chicken-safe trees? Or a container tree would work too (then I wouldn't have to do all the work of digging or ask dh to dig for me. lol). Our run is covered so it would have to be a short tree or maybe some kind of tree-like shrub.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I have native pines, ceanothus, sumac, and manzanita in my runs, they will pick off the lower leaves they can reach but other than that the trees/ bushes are fine.

If you plant a small one (less than 3 or 4 feet) I would fence it until it gets big enough. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    [​IMG]

This picture is now four years old so the mulberry tree I planted in my henyard is now about three times that size. It was able to handle the manure load and just took off like a rocket. Got an enormous crop of mulberries this year. Makes an excellent shade tree and in the winter drops its leaves so the sun can reach the roosthouse to warm things up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I've been thinking about the same thing. Mulberry trees grow like unwanted weeds around here. I think I could find one to transplant and avoid paying for a tree! The fruit will be the real added bonus too! Thanks for a great idea!!!

5. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    DH transplanted a peach tree in ours and it died.[​IMG]

6. gale65

I'm back on this again. How would I go about planting a mulberry tree in there? Do I need to dig one up or can I use the fruit as seed? They grow all over the place here and dh hates them but he would be fine with one in the run. Plus they grow fast.

7. gale65

We planted a mulberry tree in there today. It was about 4' tall or maybe even taller. A few hours later the leaves are all wilted and dried up. Short of putting lots and lots of water on it, what else can we do to improve its chances? DH isn't very confident that it will bounce back. If we have to buy a tree to put in there, what is a good hardy variety that will withstand chicken poop?

8. DangerChickenHouse

DangerChickenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I read somewhere that the chicken's nitrogen filled poop can be deadly to trees in the coop. (I'm a poet and don't even know it).

9. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

You will likely have to have a raised bed tree, that is you plant it in a pot with the bottom of the pot removed, then it can 'get used' to the alternate soil.

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:trim it back. keep a wide enough fence around it to keep the chicken poop from killing it until it can get a foot hold.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by