Has anyone ever recued a Battery hen?!?

Codyandme1

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 24, 2011
i am new to the whole keeping chickens and was wondering if any one has succesfully rescued a battery hen

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. So glad you joined. Folks do it all the time. Someone just joined that resecued a few of them.
thumbsup.gif

"Battery hens" is the term used mostly in the UK. Here in the U.S.A., we would probably call them "factory chickens." These are hens in the chicken factories producing eggs for the consumer. In cages. Stuffed several to each cage, and never leaving those cages until they die or are taken out to be culled, because their production has fallen. Most battery or factory hens are only two years old, maybe three. But they have never touched ground, never run free, never had a treat in their lives, and all they do is lay eggs. That's their purpose in life.

Hi there! New here too, actually new to the whole chicken thing.
smile.png
I've never heard of a battery hen, until mac in abilene and gryeyes explained it in your reply postings, thanks guys! So, are you rescuing one ore are you just thinking about it? Are you keeping chickens for pets, eggs, food?

Oh, and how rude of me not to welcome you (both) to BYC!!!

This is the place to learn how to do things right, how to fix the things you didn't do right, and to "meet" other like-minded chicken-keeping folks.

Back
Top Bottom