Has anyone ever tried this?

@WindingRoad

I don't let my chickens out of the coop when the weather here is below 10F

That's for your benefit, not theirs. As I mentioned, I took that photo when it was 4* F. The reason it was that warm was that it took me a while to get down there with a camera. It was -4* F earlier.

I figure they know more about being chickens than I ever will. I leave the pop door open and let them decide where they want to be. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be out there, they'd find shelter from the wind. But it was a calm day so they were enjoying the sunshine.

The bucket in the ground trick is pretty cool! I may try something like that.

Like I said, I don’t have a way other than running a LOOOOONG extension cord out to my coop and that would be a last resort. I may have to get a couple of rubber dishes like was mentioned and try that. My coop and run is covered and shaded so it doesn’t get a lot of direct sunlight.
Thanks!

When I was in Northwest Arkansas I used black rubber bowls to water in winter.
Sorta off topic but I really need to plug these black rubber bowls, I accidentally ran over one with the lawnmower ... and I got it real good... and it survived. These things are indestructible. They are flexible enough to bend before they break and strong enough to stall a lawnmower. Do not try this at home lol.

Sorta off topic but I really need to plug these black rubber bowls, I accidentally ran over one with the lawnmower ... and I got it real good... and it survived. These things are indestructible. They are flexible enough to bend before they break and strong enough to stall a lawnmower. Do not try this at home lol.
Nice!! Lol!

The bucket in the ground trick is pretty cool! I may try something like that.

Like I said, I don’t have a way other than running a LOOOOONG extension cord out to my coop and that would be a last resort. I may have to get a couple of rubber dishes like was mentioned and try that. My coop and run is covered and shaded so it doesn’t get a lot of direct sunlight.
Thanks!
its possible your climate is similar to mine, but you are closer to the great plains where colder air can roll in so I am not sure. However I use those black bowls and they freeze over night, my solution is to come out with a bucket of hot water and dump them in those black bowls and since it goes above freezing by noon regardless of time of winter it stays thawed out all day. I really like those black bowls, the can be heated with solar radiation and are perfect for upper south climates.

@WindingRoad

I don't let my chickens out of the coop when the weather here is below 10F

That's for your benefit, not theirs. As I mentioned, I took that photo when it was 4* F. The reason it was that warm was that it took me a while to get down there with a camera. It was -4* F earlier.

I figure they know more about being chickens than I ever will. I leave the pop door open and let them decide where they want to be. If a cold wind were blowing they would not be out there, they'd find shelter from the wind. But it was a calm day so they were enjoying the sunshine.

not really I can go inside a warm house.

Back
Top Bottom