Has anyone ever tried to do surgery on a chicken that is internally laying? WARNING ( semi graphic p

I did the best I could with what I had. I shurely hope that there will be no complications. However you never know. I am not a professional by any means I am considdering going to some kind of Vet. school to get some training in avian. I know there is always a need for someone who knows about avians and their medical needs. I know a college here in the area has a program that they have been advertising.I know that is off subject but I felt it necessary to convey. Any how for now she is doing great.
smile.png

WOW, I don't think I would have been able to do that, kudos to you tho! I'm so glad Rags is feeling better and who wouldn't with that "stuff" out of her!
Good job I'm impressed:)
Diane

I did the best I could with what I had. I shurely hope that there will be no complications. However you never know. I am not a professional by any means I am considdering going to some kind of Vet. school to get some training in avian. I know there is always a need for someone who knows about avians and their medical needs. I know a college here in the area has a program that they have been advertising.I know that is off subject but I felt it necessary to convey. Any how for now she is doing great.
smile.png

None of us knows any more than we've learned, and if not for the sharing that others have done? I'd still be useful for little more than general farm labor.

For certain, we could all use another Avian Veterinarian in the world (as long as you don't refuse to see poultry, once your practice really takes off ~'-)

The main reason for me going to Vet school would be to see poultry. I have seen first hand on here all of the ailments that they can suffer from. I get frustrated when there is an ailment that I believe could be treated and yet we don' t know where to start. I am trying to make a start in understanding of how we might be able to better treat our fowl. As we all have much invested in our birds. Thank you for your support. Rags seems to continue to act like a fully recovered chicken. I only hope it continues. Please keep her in your prayers.

The main reason for me going to Vet school would be to see poultry. I have seen first hand on here all of the ailments that they can suffer from. I get frustrated when there is an ailment that I believe could be treated and yet we don' t know where to start. I am trying to make a start in understanding of how we might be able to better treat our fowl. As we all have much invested in our birds. Thank you for your support. Rags seems to continue to act like a fully recovered chicken. I only hope it continues. Please keep her in your prayers.

Prayers sent, both for you and her. But, you be sure 'n remember not to base your future upon the outcome of any effort to provide treatment ... no matter the outcome? You keep workin' towards your goal ~'-)

cowcreekgeek, thank you for posting the references. It looks like they are from the same one you sent me last week (sorry I never got back to you to thank you for it before), which I have printed out and am reading through. According to that paper, quite a bit is known about pain perception in chickens, and the overwhelming evidence is that they do indeed have the neuroanatomy and physiology for pain perception, and it is actually quite similar to pain perception in humans and other mammals. I am hoping to find the time to start a separate thread to discuss pain perception in chickens, using that paper as a spring board.

So yes, vivisection on chickens is currently legal, but there have been times and places in history where even human vivisection without anesthesia was acceptable (as done on slaves, POW's, and Jews). But make no mistake, those people suffered. So do chickens.

Best of luck to Rags. PAchickenlover, I am glad to hear you are interested in avian veterinary medicine. There is obviously a great and growing need for vets trained to treat chickens with appropriate pain relief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, ok lets get back on the subject, Rags. She is doing great! Here is a picture of her I took today.

So as you can see by the pictures that I took today she is healing well. Rags is still in good spirits,and is getting more and more energy every day.
thumbsup.gif

I sure wish you lived closer to NW Ohio! I could use your strength to help me with my Buckeye hen Penny - she has been getting worse for several weeks and I am trying everything I know how to do. I have had her on Baytril for a week now and have been scrambling eggs for her to eat. I have been supplementing with more calcium.....but I think she needs her abdomen at least drained and I am so afraid to do it wrong that I have been trying to convince myself I can do something such as you have done. The last time I had one similar to this, even with a vet working on her - to the tune of $330, I actually lost her earlier in the game than I have with what I have been doing for Penny. Ugh.....any chance you are coming my way in the next several days?! It makes me too queasy to do what you did, even though I know in my heart that is what she needs in order for her to have a chance......

Back
Top Bottom