Has anyone ever tried to do surgery on a chicken that is internally laying? WARNING ( semi graphic p

Ok, ok lets get back on the subject, Rags. She is doing great! Here is a picture of her I took today.

So as you can see by the pictures that I took today she is healing well. Rags is still in good spirits,and is getting more and more energy every day.
thumbsup.gif

Sorry 'bout that ... She's sure lookin' pretty ~'-)

You've gotta take it as it comes, but I'm still wonderin' about the possibilities, in regard to egg production. I'd suspect that it's gonna be a while before an egg would be likely to form, so hopefully the surgical incision into her reproductive tract will have sufficient time to heal.

But, that's what I'd be most excited and surprised by ... seein' her successfully lay an egg, rather than forming another mass.

Yes, me too. I have no idea if she will be able to successfully be able to form and lay an egg. I plan on keeping a close eye on her for the next couple of months. If another problem arises with her I will either be getting her spayed or putting her down. I hate to say that after all that I have done for her at this point but it is the simple truth. I whole heartedly hope all thngs go well from now on..

Yes, me too. I have no idea if she will be able to successfully be able to form and lay an egg. I plan on keeping a close eye on her for the next couple of months. If another problem arises with her I will either be getting her spayed or putting her down. I hate to say that after all that I have done for her at this point but it is the simple truth. I whole heartedly hope all thngs go well from now on..
I wonder if there is a hormone that can be given to hens to stopped their egg laying? I have a pullet that has a deformed back end and I know she'll never be able to get an egg out, so let me know if you hear of something.

Ok, ok lets get back on the subject, Rags. She is doing great! Here is a picture of her I took today.

.....................................................snip..........................................

So as you can see by the pictures that I took today she is healing well. Rags is still in good spirits,and is getting more and more energy every day.
thumbsup.gif
Fingers crossed for you and Rags.

I sure wish you lived closer to NW Ohio! I could use your strength to help me with my Buckeye hen Penny - she has been getting worse for several weeks and I am trying everything I know how to do. I have had her on Baytril for a week now and have been scrambling eggs for her to eat. I have been supplementing with more calcium.....but I think she needs her abdomen at least drained and I am so afraid to do it wrong that I have been trying to convince myself I can do something such as you have done. The last time I had one similar to this, even with a vet working on her - to the tune of $330, I actually lost her earlier in the game than I have with what I have been doing for Penny. Ugh.....any chance you are coming my way in the next several days?! It makes me too queasy to do what you did, even though I know in my heart that is what she needs in order for her to have a chance......
So sorry, I am not heading that direction any time soon. I didn't think I had the strength to do it either, but I put my mind to saving my girls life and was able to do what was needed with that mind setting. You have to disasociate the gross stuff from the I'm saving their life. It is not easy, but I am sure if you can disasociate these things you will be fine. I will be glad to try to help you as much as I can.

PAchickenlover - you did the right thing trying to help your hen, and clearly, based on the posts, she is doing better. Good for you!

Giving her a local and some antibiotics before the surgery would have been ideal, but most of us don't have that option. So we do the best for our "kids" that we can.

Best of luck with your hen PA! I hope she makes a full recovery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rags continues to get better. Her apetite has grown enormous, she devoured a hard boiled egg today and wanted more. lol She is walking around my living room floor with her tail up looking very happy. Of course she is "talking" to me still. She comes up to me to see what kind of treats I have for her. She is getting soooooo spoiled! And deserves it! Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers.

PAchickenlover - you did the right thing trying to help your hen, and clearly, based on the posts, she is doing better. Good for you!

Giving her a local and some antibiotics before the surgery would have been ideal, but most of us don't have that option. So we do the best for our "kids" that we can.

Best of luck with your hen PA! I hope she makes a full recovery!
I did have her on antibiotics before I did the surgery. She was on them for a few days before. As for the pain meds, I did give her a baby asprin solution before I started also. Now that is no local anethesia but at leats it was something. Thank you for your post, and your kind thoughts. I, we (Rags and I) appreciate them very much.
D.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom