Has anyone ever used a brick?

joneus

Songster
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
Ballston Spa
To hold heat and humidity, I mean...

I need to go out of town for the day, two days into lockdown and I'll be gone for about 18 hours (forgot about that when I set the eggs.
sad.png
). I'm not worried about the temperature- that stays pretty steady, but I'm worried about the humidity dropping while I'm away. (home made incubator made out of styrofoam, duct tape, and an aquarium). Keeping it in the 45-50% range has been pretty easy. I add water every 8-10hrs or so and thats because its getting close[/] to 45%... but, then, the relative humidity in the house has been steady, too.

Knowing that a brick is effectively a big, heavy, porous, spongy rock- I'm wondering if that will work to hold the humidity steady until I get home? I'm thinking: heat it up to 100 degrees in the oven (so it doesnt lower the temp in the 'bator) and then set it in a dish with warm water the day before lockdown... then I'll have 3 solid days of monitoring and testing my theory before I leave.

Has anyone ever done this?

I would think the extra surface area for the water to evaporate from would jack the humidity way up but if your going to be there to check on it I suppose you could adjust the vents to control humidity. I say give it a shot it sounds like a decent idea

You know I had thought about that only after I set my eggs in my bator. I had thought that I would check that before hatching again. I would love it if you would let us know if it does work?!

Quote:
Sure! The more I think about it, the more I want to get it started sooner rather than later. I want to be _sure_ that I've got it all figured out before my trip...

(so I'm building a second homemade incubator for the sole purpose of keeping the eggs comfortable while I get the original sorted out... how's THAT for neurotic?!?! LOL!)

I use regular kitchen sponges (clean!) to keep my humidity up. When I leave the classroom over the weekend I soak two sponges and leave them in the 'bator. Yes the humidity will jack up a bit but I have NEVER had any eggs drown. Since it's during your end days they will need the humidity anyway.

Quote:
That's good to know, because that's what I have been planning on doing. Although, I have to admit I've been apprehensive. What kind of incubator do you use? Mine's home made and is why I worry!

bricks are large and would take up to much space in the ordinary incubators used by the beginer hatchers. But it sounds like agood idea if you have enough space. I work with clay so I think I'll make some pieces that will fit into my incubator.

Just a thought, If you throw a couple of bricks in there you're going to pull the temperature way down while they come up to temp. There going to act like giant heat sinks. Once they're up to temp, they'll regulate the temps very well. I would suggest using a jar filled with water and cotton wick to keep the humidity up. Again, they water should be about the same temperature as the bator or if will affect the air temp for a prolonged period.

Back
Top Bottom