has anyone experience of lymphoid leukosi?

esther5

Songster
8 Years
Aug 23, 2011
UK
hi that should read 'lymphoid leukosis '
just trying to work out if this could be the cause of my pullets illness. have any of you had this? what was your chicken like how did she act? how old ? and how long did it take to cause death?

mine is 17 weeks. 8 have already died, all bought from the same supplier. legbars and skyline so i suspect they are related. the first one dies around 9 weeks which seems a bit early for LL.

i am crop feeding mine or she would certainly be dead by now. i wonder if i should give up since there is no cure for LL so just trying to decide whether she really has this or something else.

Last edited:
From what I have read about LL and Marek's disease, it was my understanding the Marek's disease typically has an onset early in the life of a chicken, anywhere from a few days old to 25 weeks old. I thought i remember reading the Lymphoid Leukosis onset is often later in life, 2-3 years old showing symptoms. Unfortunately LL is passed on to the egg where Marek's is only spread by contact but it is highly contageous.

i think you are right that it is tooearly for it to be LL. i have read over and over that 16 weeks of age at onset is usual but i lost a few well before then.

if it is mareks it seems strange that all the affected chicks so far at least, are from the same seller. the other 12 hens/pullets are so far well. also if it was mareks i'd have expected several ill at the same time rather than this drawn out affair and none of the 8 deaths have showed classic symptoms ie paralysis of legs. weakness yes but not stiffness.

still baffled

Back
Top Bottom