Has anyone had a hen with these symtoms?

Check the belly area behind her legs. Is it soft and pliable or swollen, firm and hard. I had a few birds that had fluid build up in their abdomen, a condition called ascites. The fluid will build up until they suffocate. This is caused by a disease of some internal organs. If this is the case you could extend her life by draining her abdomen with a large needle and syringe. There are some videos on youtube. It is a tricky procedure and could actually kill her if the needle punctures her intestine or other organs. So you wouldn't want to do this unless you are sure that ascites is the problem.

Check the belly area behind her legs. Is it soft and pliable or swollen, firm and hard. I had a few birds that had fluid build up in their abdomen, a condition called ascites. The fluid will build up until they suffocate. This is caused by a disease of some internal organs. If this is the case you could extend her life by draining her abdomen with a large needle and syringe. There are some videos on youtube. It is a tricky procedure and could actually kill her if the needle punctures her intestine or other organs. So you wouldn't want to do this unless you are sure that ascites is the problem.
Thanks for the idea. She's very thin but no signs of hardness in her belly. I will keep an eye on her though it case that develops (though I'd take her to a vet for the procedure... sounds scary to do it myself!!)

She could have a reproductive disorder, cancer, organ failure, or have something else going on which may not be known. I would try to rule out a mite infestion by looking closely at her skin for any tiny mites crawling and any dark specks. Also let us know how her crop feels in her right chest, and describe if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, and puffy. Crop disorders may cause them to not get food. Has she lost weight recently? If you should lose her, I would send her body to your state poultry vet in St. Paul for a necropsy. If that is not possible, you can do a brief necropsy at home and take pictures of the abdominal organs to post here of your findings. Some problems may be spotted. Here is a list of state vets for you to contact for info:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
Thank you for all of the information. No mites (I have sprayed with Elector during the summer months- just to be on the safe side even though I didn't see any signs on any of the hens). Hard to tell with her crop- it's not full but it is soft. She eats but not a lot at a time. She has lost weight gradually since the summer. Trying to save her but I am starting to think it might be an internal issue like cancer like the vet suspected. Hoping for some miracle solution but so far none of her symptoms indicate a clear cause. Thanks again.

Ascites can be very common. I just lost a hen yesterday who had an abdomen full of amber colored ascites fluid. Many times it is only after a necropsy that we can find out what was going on with them.

Back
Top Bottom