Has anyone had faults in this incubator? Hatching tomorrow! Worried!!

Nwygle93

Chirping
Feb 14, 2018
Ohio
Hi everyone. This is the first time I’ve ever hatched out my own barnyard eggs and I’m very worried. During this whole time the incubator has proven to be quite unreliable with temperature and humidity when I compare it to my internal thermometer and hygrometer. I’ve been wrestling with it… And now that it’s crunch time I’m just extremely worried they’re going to try to hatch and die because it’s either not Enough or too humid. The incubator says the humidity has remained around 60% this whole time while the hydrometer says it’s been about 20% the whole time. I’m not sure which one to trust at this critical moment… All is supposed to catch tomorrow and I’m even hearing peeping. Please see the pictures and tell me if anybody has had better luck trusting one or the other if you have had it before. The inkwell has been more accurate on temperature I will say, otherwise I’m lost! I’m very excited to have some babies..I would be crushed if I trusted the wrong reading and made adjustments that I shouldn’t have :( it’s my first hatch, please be nice

Attachments

• 8572B888-3228-440D-ABCA-472719E53AFA.jpeg
    8572B888-3228-440D-ABCA-472719E53AFA.jpeg
    304.4 KB · Views: 9
  • C776EC73-FE71-4716-AFAE-BE3D43DE06AE.jpeg
    C776EC73-FE71-4716-AFAE-BE3D43DE06AE.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 1587988C-81C6-42C3-9D00-75CB3F82159F.jpeg
    1587988C-81C6-42C3-9D00-75CB3F82159F.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 10
I’m right there with you! I overthink… And the more I read about it last night, the more concerned I got because I don’t want them to Pip only to drown from too much humidity or not be able to crack open the egg because it’s not humid enough. And I have to admit with all this virus stuff going on… The hatch date just kind of snuck up on me! Doesn’t help it’s the first day of the month so those always are quite sneaky too. When I candled them Sunday (2days ago) they were all kicking and happy 😊) But yes, everything is in lockdown… But I’m willing to open it up a little bit just to put water in if needed

Last edited:
UThobby good I’m glad I’m not the Only one who has a little bit of trouble with their gauges on this unit. It’s done a good job so far, but I was hoping to be a little more on point with either one or the other gauge so that in the future I know if I’m doing things right LOL. I also have the little paper thermometer that they threw in there reading as well… And I’m actually tending to start to believe it more than the other two since it’s old-fashioned LOL. Can’t go wrong there. Neither of the hygrometers that I have in there are reading anywhere near each other still… But you’re right that it did go up anyways so who knows 🤷🏼‍♀️
Either way, I must be doing something OK because now 11 of the 18 are out! They are so funny to watch jumping around and cuddling with each other.The rooster is a Rhode Island red, but the hen are all different breeds… So I lovingly called them mutts ❤️ I’ll post pictures when I get home 😁

Not an expert here but I am an expert at worrying and over thinking! I’d say if they’ve made it this far and you can hear cheeping then you’re on the right track and there’s not much you can do from this point except wait. Have you set them up for lockdown?

I’m hoping :D I just would feel like a monster if I didn’t provide them the correct environment to hatch proper. I’m almost wondering if the Inkwell will be reliable for temp only and the incubator for hygrometer only. I don’t know. I’m not sure how to test out a hygrometer for accuracy

I’m hoping :D I just would feel like a monster if I didn’t provide them the correct environment to hatch proper. I’m almost wondering if the Inkwell will be reliable for temp only and the incubator for hygrometer only. I don’t know. I’m not sure how to test out a hygrometer for accuracy

I’m sure there’s someone on here who can help with the calibration, so many nice people on BYC!

Please post photos of your babies!

Back
Top Bottom