Has anyone had pekins that sat on their eggs?

TheDuckCrew

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Connecticut
When i was researching getting my pekin ducks, it said it has been bred out of them so they could lay more eggs, but that some pekins do sit on their eggs.

so far, we've gotten 6 eggs, the first one was just sitting out, and then we thought our girl stopped laying but today i found a nest that she made with 5 eggs in it. she had dug a hole in the ground and gotten the best hay around her pen and put it in her nest. i was thinking maybe she's the kind that would sit and hatch her eggs. has anyone had a pekin that did hatch their own eggs?

Had some sit but none have hatched out any. One is sitting again so we see.

ML

I had a Pekin sit on their eggs last year [course, I stole a few for my incubator
big_smile.png
] Only 1 didn't hatch. This year the females have been little brats... laying their eggs in the pond and creeks and avoiding the nice barn where she had already made a nest..
roll.png

Yes i have one specific pekin mama that has successfully hatched 15 duckling all on her own. I have four others that try, but are generally unsuccessful. My Rouen has only hatched about 5 on her own. Nothing compares to my Mama Pekin! Not here at least.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Lol

My 2 females (both was killed by a mink)all layed but never sat on them.
sad.png

1 would lay her eggs in her doghouse that i put pine chips in but the other layed them wherever she was at the time:p.Never layed them in her house.
i have 2 females now that i just got 2 weeks ago.Their out at the pond.So i have no clue where their laying eggs. I have yet to see any on land yet as i walk around.
I need to get myself an incubator and learn to how to hatch them myself.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
aww. no baby duckies for you i guess? lol. i'm hoping my pekin will sit, my parents wouldn't have the heart to kill them if they were already developing but they are talking about getting an incubator!!! yayyyyyyyy!!!!!!!
wee.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom