Has anyone had problems with this waterer?

I have the same waterer and it says to apply oil to the o-ring before use. The problem i have had is that i hang mine and occasionally the chickens knock the bottom off which leaks all the water out inside the coop. I have since moved mine outside and sat it on a block.

We tried the same type waterer inside our coop as many others have. Hanging it simply will not work as ours had to have the lid on it just so to maintain a seal and as soon as we hung it it the seal changed because of the weight of the water making it leak. Now we use that waterer striclty for outside in the summer. If you can get it perfectly level and make sure to keep the o ring lubricated it would work inside but I'd rather not take the chance on that much water spilling inside the coop, I've put too much work into making sure the inside of our coop is nice and dry. We use a Harris Farms 3.5 gallon waterer bought at TSC hanging inside that works quite well. The chicks still spill some water out of that one occasionally but only when they get excited in the coop and bang into it.

Bought this model new yesterday and it does have the o-ring... but even with a tight lid continues to leak????

I took it out of the coop last night and set it on the deck ... it lost 90% of the water overnight. That would have been almost 5 gal of water in my bedding... grrrr.... glad I took it out.

Do they normally fail this way or is this an exception to the rule?
Make sure the o-ring is in place, and not cut or damaged. While filling the waterer, get the o-ring and the inside of the lid wet. Tighten the lid and then losen about 1 inch rotation. Remove the cap and place it back onto the cap holder. It should work fine. I have 6 of these and they work great, though I had to do what i just described to get the lid to seal properly. Since then there have been zero problems.

We started out with these types years ago.
They are fine for a few chickens, however they must be dead level.
If they are hung, the chickens will spill them by their attempts to roost.
I have progressed to the nipple drinker style with a catch pan.
If ducks are in your future Chuck your current watering system for sure.

just my .02

I use those kind of waterers for the chicks but the older birds get nipple waterers. 3 gallon and 5 gallon buckets are easy enough to come by (stop by a fast food restaurant and ask is they have empty pickle buckets) and the nipples are usually avail from feed stores but much cheaper in quantity on ebay). They do need to be somewhat level so that air can't exchange with the water. Vacuum is the key to making these work and any way that air can get in will allow water out. Using veg oil is good on the seals, anything else could erode the oring (anything from petroleum such as mineral oil or baby oil is no good).

Back
Top Bottom