Has anyone had problems with this waterer?

There should be a large rubber 'O' ring in the lid. I think I know what you're talking about. If its missing, the water will just keep leaking out. You can try to find one in hardware store to fit. This happened to me last year with the very same unit. Pain in the a**! Whenever I buy a similar product, I check for that piece. Make sure its in there!

Bought this model new yesterday and it does have the o-ring... but even with a tight lid continues to leak????

I took it out of the coop last night and set it on the deck ... it lost 90% of the water overnight. That would have been almost 5 gal of water in my bedding... grrrr.... glad I took it out.

Do they normally fail this way or is this an exception to the rule?

I don’t use that specific model but something similar. Somehow air is leaking into it and breaking the suction. It could be a bad fit on the O-ring or a damaged O-ring, there might be a leak at the top where that black fits to the white, or it might have a pinhole somewhere. Another common problem is that if it is not setting pretty level the water can just run out. That can also be a problem if you try to hang some waterers that depend on suction like that model.

If you had it setting level where the opening at the bottom was covered with water and it still leaked out, I’d take it back for a new one.

Last edited:
Make sure it is level. It isn't very forgiving of any slope. I use my galvanized waterers on uneven ground because they are more forgiving. The big plastic one you have pictured only works well for me on level spots. Usually I put a paver under it.

I have 3 of these types of waterers, The trick is before using them coat the O-ring with vegetable oil, as it helps the lids screw down all the way and then it seals off. HTH

As above poster stated, they do have to be level as well.

Last edited:
Very cool advice... thanks

I did have it fairly level on blocks but I hadn't tried the vegetable oil on the o-ring.

I will invest some time in making it 100% level and use the vegetable oil before returning it.

I am using "deep liter method" on the floors and I sure don't want 5 gal's water poured into that this time of year.

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom