I can’t believe the difference!

lambman93

Hatching
Apr 11, 2024
I started feeding Poultry Perfect by Countryside and my chickens are loving it! Their production has improved and the yolks have such a great color! I’m amazed the difference! Is anyone else feeding this???

I started feeding Poultry Perfect by Countryside and my chickens are loving it! Their production has improved and the yolks have such a great color! I’m amazed the difference! Is anyone else feeding this???
Haven't heard of it? Is it a layer feed, or an All Flock/Flock Raiser feed?

It’s a layer feed. I feed the 16% layer feed. They also have a 20% as well I think.
I can't feed layer formula any more but thanks for the tip. Out of 25 or so hens I only get about 10 eggs on a good day and I have a rooster. I don't want to feed the extra calcium in a layer formula to my non-layers, I understand it's not good for them. Now IF they had an all-flock formula, and IF I could get it here and IF it was available at a reasonable price ... then yeah, I'd check it out! I'll watch for it at my feed store.

It’s a layer feed. I feed the 16% layer feed. They also have a 20% as well I think.
I was wondering cuz it wasn't specified.

I only feed All Flock type feeds. I did end up switching up one of my flocks feed to 20% Dumor chick starter/grower feed. They love it, & seem to be doing better on it as well.

Reasons I don't feed layer, is I've got roosters/cockerels, & due to the fact layer feed isn't formulated for Heritage type chickens, only high egg Production Hybrids, & high Production breeds like Leghorns.

When did you switch and notice the difference? I'm skeptical of any claims of feeds suddenly reducing or suddenly increasing egg production in significant ways. Oftentimes what happens is it overlaps with some natural slowing or ramping up of production, and correlation is interpreted as causation. For example, it's very common for people to complain of production slowing down in the fall/winter, and you start hearing conspiracy theories about the feed, about chemicals, and whatnot, when in fact chickens slow down naturally that time of year and the feed has nothing to do with it. A lot of new chicken owners out there fall for this, come up with an explanation blaming a certain brand or type of feed, spread that explanation out of context and muddy the waters. Likewise in the spring - suddenly there's an explosion of eggs, but it's not because of the feed, it's just springtime. So, we are in this boom period right now. Don't jump to conclusions. 16% protein is a poor feed, that's the bare minimum of protein for production and unlikely to do any miracles. You're better off using a 20% all flock type of feed, if you want long term effects.

Also, yolk color means nothing. There are easy ways to tint it and the industry has figured that out, adding marigold extract solely to color the yolks more orange and convince people that the feed, and therefore the eggs, are somehow superior because of it. But they're not.

When did you switch and notice the difference? I'm skeptical of any claims of feeds suddenly reducing or suddenly increasing egg production in significant ways. Oftentimes what happens is it overlaps with some natural slowing or ramping up of production, and correlation is interpreted as causation. For example, it's very common for people to complain of production slowing down in the fall/winter, and you start hearing conspiracy theories about the feed, about chemicals, and whatnot, when in fact chickens slow down naturally that time of year and the feed has nothing to do with it. A lot of new chicken owners out there fall for this, come up with an explanation blaming a certain brand or type of feed, spread that explanation out of context and muddy the waters. Likewise in the spring - suddenly there's an explosion of eggs, but it's not because of the feed, it's just springtime. So, we are in this boom period right now. Don't jump to conclusions. 16% protein is a poor feed, that's the bare minimum of protein for production and unlikely to do any miracles. You're better off using a 20% all flock type of feed, if you want long term effects.

Also, yolk color means nothing. There are easy ways to tint it and the industry has figured that out, adding marigold extract solely to color the yolks more orange and convince people that the feed, and therefore the eggs, are somehow superior because of it. But they're not.
I switched in the winter, but I was feeding the other feed I was feeding for roughly a year and a half prior to switching. I’ve seen what they have done on it previously this time of year. I realize the 20% is better nutritionally, but they did not have it in stock the first time I bought the Poultry Perfect. I keep forgetting to get the 20% Poultry Perfect but it’s been working great for me!

Back
Top Bottom