Has anyone had success hatching double yolker????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by christytrav, May 16, 2009.

1. christytrav

christytrav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    I have a double yolker in my incubator right now. I just candled (day 6) and things are definately developing. Do these ever make it full term and hatch successfully?

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I have heard that people have successfully hatched twins, but I hear that more often than not, one or both don't make it, which makes sence, if one pips, than the other is most likely not going to be getting air.

Good Luck, keep us updated! [​IMG]

3. mediazeal

mediazeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Search here for it
    and on youtube too
    there is a video from a couple of months ago of a BYCer helping her double yolker to hatch.
    both were healthy and lived but they would not have made it out of the egg without her help in time.
    it's an amazing video and she did an awesome job
    hopefully she will respond to you with guidance!!

4. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I tried recently. I opened the egg at both ends on hatch day, one was partially out of the shell and the other was breathing. The next morning they both had died. no idea why. Yolk was absorbed and everything.

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Have one hatching right now, or trying to. I can see movement on one side, but not the other. I did watch the youtube video and it is amazing. I was hoping this might be a successful hatch, but not holding too much hope now.

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    I have two in the bator now. My candler broke so when I get my new one I'll know more. I've run four so far before, in each case something went wrong fairly early with one not going well, dying and contaminating the other which then died.

So we'll see. Getting the suckers fully developed and hatched appears to be a minor miracle which just makes it cooler. I think they have just more chances at weakness and defects due to space issues.

7. christytrav

christytrav Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    KASILOF, ALASKA
    Thanks everyone. I did watch the utube video last night and it was pretty amazing. I would have been a nervous wreck. Keep me updated on how your hatches go. What you would do again and what you would do differently. Thanks

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Our egg was looking good this morning. Saw movement on both sides of egg after I was sure it may only have one live duckling. We broke the shell after we saw the air sac was pipped. We had to leave to day for a party, not sure how things would go, but we knew they needed more time as we encounter blood when first breaking the membrane on the other side of egg to make sure there was air for the 2nd duckling. DH came home to find no movement from either duckling and he decided to break open. Both ducklings were fully formed, but still had not absorbed yolk at all. [​IMG] Unfortuneately they didn't make it. They were so cute too. Don't know if we'll attempt again, but definitely not any time soon. Hope someone else has better luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by