Has anyone here every created their own breed?

QuoVadis

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 15, 2013
So many breeds started out as some private person breeding for something specific and ended up turning into popular (or not so popular) breeds. I am sure many others created a breed only the have it never gain popularity and then die out. I guess I would consider it a breed if you have succeeded in creating a bird distinct from the parent stock, that breeds true. Is that a good definition? Has anyone on here ever created their own breed (not just developed a new color)?

I would love to do this sometime and I have many ideas of cool chickens. The one that has currently captured my imagination is crossing Mille Fleur D'uccles, Mille Fleur Pyncheons, Mille Fleur Pekins (AKA Cochin bantam), and Mille Fleur Leghorns. They are all already mille fluers (obviously!), so you wouldn't have to worry about developing a color different than the parents (and I love mille chickens!)

I envision a small bird with decent laying ability, a lovely temprement, soft feathering and all the extras (beard, leg feathers, crest). It would be the perfect backyard chicken! I would breed for a small crest from the Pyncheons, beards and muffs from the D'uccle, a small to moderate amount of leg feathering from the D'uccle and Pekin, loose feathering from the Pekin, egg laying and extra size from the Leghorn, and a nice temprement from the D'uccle (and Pekin and Pyncheon).

I don't know if this makes sense, but I tried to write out how I envisioned going about producing this cross:

Leghorn X Pekin = F1a Pyncheon X D'uccle = F1b

F1a X F1b = F2

F2 X F1b = F3a D'uccle X Leghorn = F3b

F2 X F3a = F4a F2 X F3b = F4b

F4a X F4b = F5

F4a X F5 = F6

F6 X F5 = F7

So what do you guys think of this plan? Obviously if I ever do it, it will just be for fun, but I think it might be actually useful in the age of some many backyard flocks.

Also feel free to share pics of any breeds you have been trying to create, and the vision you have for them!

Last edited:
That sounds so awesome!

I'm breeding Dalmatian bantams because of an accidental cross that everyone said looked really cool! It is just for fun, but I also don't want to see these nice birds go extinct. There are different strains and then there are different breeds. A breed may look like another breed, but it must have different genetics or a different heritage, coloration, behavior, ect to others.

Tons of people want bantams that don't go broody and that lay eggs, but there aren't any pure bantams that are like this. If you advertised well you could succeed! You want a bird that is hardy in both hot and cold weather and that is healthy and not inbred.

My Dalmatianbirds, part Sebright, part silkie and part Red Pyle OEGB

Back
Top Bottom