Has anyone in England neutered their cockerels?

Yes, caponizing - removal of the testicles - is illegal. However the OP is interested in chemical castration, with the injection of a suprelorin implant. It's used in dogs, cats, ferrets and other mammals to create temporary sterilization. From what I can find out use in poultry is off-label. If that is the case then I expect it will be difficult to find a vet willing to do the procedure. It also seems the results people have had on using the implants on mature roosters have been mixed - it often doesn't lessen crowing or even mating attempts. It seems to be more effective in keeping hens with serious laying issues healthy though.

If you do not believe in breeding there are other ways to prevent them from producing offspring. If you keep both sexes together then make sure all eggs are collected daily and break any broody hens. Or an even easier method is to just keep males and females in separate flocks. Free range them on alternate days if that's something you are able to do.
Thank you for your comment, I think it’s the first useful one I’ve got, they’re three weeks old at the moment so there’s still time for sure.

You have had plenty of useful comments they just don't agree with you.

Also again caponizing roos to the best of my knowledge is illegal in the UK wither it's chemically or through surgery as it's seen as unnecessary mutilation of a animal specially in seeing you can't have chicks if you don't incubate the eggs.

Also if you don't like our answers why not call a vet? Because they would be the ones who could give you the best info unless you have and they said nope and you don't like that answer.

One last thing before I leave this thread. If your worried about noise there are collars for roos that reduce crowing.

Back
Top Bottom