Has anyone made a proposal to change the Standard on dubbing combs?

Pics

CaramelKittey

Crowing
Feb 15, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all! This is a question for any APA/ABA breeders out there..
Has anyone actually tried to change the Standard regarding the dubbing of modern game, old English game, and American game birds? I hear a lot of talk about breeders saying that 'it is cruel to dub' and such, but I've never seen anybody actually make a proposal to change the standard? I would love to do it, but I am very new to the ABA (been a member for 6 days..) and I don't feel that it would be right for me to change the standard since I just joined the ABA, and I am a youth. Just wondering if anybody has asked about it or if it is possible for the standard to be changed?
Thank you in advance!

It’s far better for the birds the process isn’t bad if done correctly. There back to being completely normal as soon as it’s done the problem is people “hear” how cruel it is but have never done it them self it’s not cruel at all in my opinion. The birds appreciate it very much when there combs aren’t rotting off from frost bite and bleeding non stop from being pecked constantly.

It’s far better for the birds the process isn’t bad if done correctly. There back to being completely normal as soon as it’s done the problem is people “hear” how cruel it is but have never done it them self it’s not cruel at all in my opinion. The birds appreciate it very much when there combs aren’t rotting off from frost bite and bleeding non stop from being pecked constantly.
That's another reason I like them being dubbed. It's always sad for me when my males lose their beautiful combs slowly and probably painfully to frostbite. I think the worse part for me is just the blood, but is t the comb very blood rush anyways?

Usually the worst part of the blood is in the comb itself not coming out of the bird. Most of them don’t even make a peep when you trim they shake there head a few times due to them not being used to not having it but throw a little feed to them and there back to scratching like usual. Most people take it out of context as the only reason people do it is for them to fight birds when that’s not the case at all. It’s mainly for the health benefits of he bird There’s nothing worse than a bird with frost bite of left untreated it’ll go straight to there brain and guess what there good as dead after that. Go ahead and trim them and not have to worry about losing your prize bird. I could careless about what the “standards” are I trim mine for there own Health and wellness. Dehorning cattle is worse than trimming a rooster beleive me I’ve been raised around both and dehorning is far more gruesome but nothing is ever said to that or docking tails or trimming ears on dogs.

The main key to this process is do not get the bird all hyped up and heart beating before you do this that’s when the blood happens it’s best to get them off the roost when there very calm cool and collected. Trim them fast and efficiently as you can put some flour or blood stop powder on the wound and get them out of your hands as soon as you can by morning time they’ll be healing up. People take this way out of context but I’ve seen barnyard roosters with massive straight combs black as coal and rotting off due to frost bite and it’s not a very pretty sight and it looks really bad on the owner I’d rather see a field full of trimmed birds with bright red heads them a yard full of half rotted deteriorated birds that look like there on there death bed but to each there own. I hope this helps with the process and you can get some information and some enlightening out of it.

The main key to this process is do not get the bird all hyped up and heart beating before you do this that’s when the blood happens it’s best to get them off the roost when there very calm cool and collected. Trim them fast and efficiently as you can put some flour or blood stop powder on the wound and get them out of your hands as soon as you can by morning time they’ll be healing up. People take this way out of context but I’ve seen barnyard roosters with massive straight combs black as coal and rotting off due to frost bite and it’s not a very pretty sight and it looks really bad on the owner I’d rather see a field full of trimmed birds with bright red heads them a yard full of half rotted deteriorated birds that look like there on there death bed but to each there own. I hope this helps with the process and you can get some information and some enlightening out of it.
Does the trick of using a feather to help form a scab help at all? Or is that just a wivestale?

Does the trick of using a feather to help form a scab help at all? Or is that just a wivestale?
Yes it works great. Usually when one bleeds a little more I pull a feather from under the vent and lay it across it and sprinkle flour on the wound bleeding stops within seconds when doing this. It’s also best to take there water away from them 24 hrs before trimming but give it back to them as soon as your done. Most bleeding is minimal straight comb birds usually have a little more than pea comb ones but as I stated before get them out of your hands ASAP. The last ones I trimmed I went by the signs when the blood is in the feet and there was barely a few drops of blood and the healing has went by quick.

I'm sure it's possible, but also feel that it would have been done by now if enough people truly didn't like it. I personally love the look. Hate the process, but i think they look much better with the dubbed combs, wattles and earlobes
You’re right, that makes sense. I have to agree, I do love the look of the dubbed comb and waddles so much better on the modern games. They look so silly with their comb and waddles! But for my old English boy, I like his comb but I guess I could get used to it dubbed..

Back
Top Bottom