Has anyone processed Buff Orpingtons for meat?

DreamsInPink

Songster
5 Years
Feb 25, 2016
Salt Fork Lake Region, Ohio
I have 24 straight run BOs. I have a LOT of roosters. They are going to freezer camp. One of my questions is, how old should I allow them to get before we cull? I have 2 different age groups and the older ones are definitely maturing. They are always after the hens... (my hens will be SO glad when there are less roosters).

I'm unsure of exactly how many roosters I have. Some are quite obvious, while I think some of the others are either later bloomers or part of the younger group.

Also, as far as temperament, at what age does a rooster reach full maturity? I'd like to keep a rooster or two, depending on numbers in the end, but I don't want to keep the jerks. I have at least a couple now that are more gentlemanly, but is it too soon to tell? They are all this years chicks. I have ages on the two BO groups on a calendar, which I do not have in front of me... but I can get later if need be.

Thanks all!

I have 24 straight run BOs. I have a LOT of roosters. They are going to freezer camp. One of my questions is, how old should I allow them to get before we cull? I have 2 different age groups and the older ones are definitely maturing. They are always after the hens... (my hens will be SO glad when there are less roosters).

I'm unsure of exactly how many roosters I have. Some are quite obvious, while I think some of the others are either later bloomers or part of the younger group.

Also, as far as temperament, at what age does a rooster reach full maturity? I'd like to keep a rooster or two, depending on numbers in the end, but I don't want to keep the jerks. I have at least a couple now that are more gentlemanly, but is it too soon to tell? They are all this years chicks. I have ages on the two BO groups on a calendar, which I do not have in front of me... but I can get later if need be.

Thanks all!

I have Orpingtons who were hatched end of Feb of this year and they would definitely yield a decent amount of meat. I am always in favor of culling roosters sooner rather than later. If you endure the cost of feeding them for another month just to yield and extra couple of ounces of meat per bird, it doesn't seem worth. If you plan on keeping the hens for eggs you don't want them getting injured or overly stressed either.

Thank you... Yes, I am on board with you. I just needed to get a more experienced opinion. My next problem comes because I am unsure who all is a rooster. I don't want to cull hens. Like I said, some of the older ones, are quite obvious, but the younger ones aren't... but at the same time, I doubt the younger ones are in on going after the hens the way the older ones are, yes?

If you don't mind processing twice, you could certainly give the uncertain ones the benefit of the doubt for now. I usually find they establish themselves one way or the other by the time the big day comes. I had a bird I went back and forth on for weeks and the morning we culled he began to crow. Off to freezer camp he went!

Back
Top Bottom