Has anyone purchased chicks from Hilltop Farms in California? *Do not buy from Hilltop Farms! Negative experiences are in the thread!!!*

I’m so sorry, we bought 12 and 7 have since died. Down to the last 5 layers.
worst experience ever with Hilltop
I lose 4 out of 5 chicks in only two days. :(. I never have issue in 7 years with different companies until i try hilltop farm cuz they have russian orloff i want so badly.

Your 7 who passed away was still a chick?

Hi. I'm butting in here because I have ideas. I don't know how it is in California, but in my state if you have a consumer issue you report it to the state Attorney General's office. IMO, it would be good if all of you having trouble from Hilltop find out who in state government you file consumer complaints to. I know it's hard to have any trust or faith in government agencies, but at least you are building a paper trail so to speak. Also I'd find out who is the Extension Agent for the county Hilltop is in and report to them. Someone contacted the sick bird line, that is good. Everybody should. IMO it's a good idea to create a tsunami of complaints. It's work and aggravation, I know, but Hilltop needs to be shut down until they get their act together, again, just IMO.

If y'all are all ready doing all of this, then disregard my novel. ;)

I now only have 1/5 chickens alive. I lost one Monday morning. She sounded wheezy on Sunday afternoon. I'm so frustrated with this situation, but honestly, I don't want replacements from Hilltop at this point. It's too heartbreaking.

Well I think my flock now has mycoplasma from hilltop farms birds. It’s been almost 3 months since they’ve had contact with the chicks, and two of my hens have gotten runny bubbly eyes within the last two weeks. I guess it’s not unheard of for symptoms to show later like this. No other chicks added except some chicks hatched under a broody about 5 weeks ago. My Ameraucana from hilltop had a runny nose and sneezing for a bit when she was about 4 weeks old but it went away within 2 weeks on its own. Now with these bubbly eyes I’m thinking she had a respiratory illness. I’m trying to see if I can get some testing done and will see if mycoplasma is the culprit, that’s the only thing I can think of with 2 previously very healthy hens getting bubbly eyes :( If my flock has mycoplasma from hilltop farms, then I can’t get any more birds until all of mine die since mycoplasma is incurable and I am not willing to cull my flock as they’re mainly pets.

Well I think my flock now has mycoplasma from hilltop farms birds. It’s been almost 3 months since they’ve had contact with the chicks, and two of my hens have gotten runny bubbly eyes within the last two weeks. I guess it’s not unheard of for symptoms to show later like this. No other chicks added except some chicks hatched under a broody about 5 weeks ago. My Ameraucana from hilltop had a runny nose and sneezing for a bit when she was about 4 weeks old but it went away within 2 weeks on its own. Now with these bubbly eyes I’m thinking she had a respiratory illness. I’m trying to see if I can get some testing done and will see if mycoplasma is the culprit, that’s the only thing I can think of with 2 previously very healthy hens getting bubbly eyes :( If my flock has mycoplasma from hilltop farms, then I can’t get any more birds until all of mine die since mycoplasma is incurable and I am not willing to cull my flock as they’re mainly pets.
I'm so sorry.
Now I need to keep an eye on my flock. I've been having anxiety that the one chick that survived is going to infect my other girls.

Oh my! I only have one left from Hilltop, but the last one who died sounded like sh ehad a respiratory infection. I certainly hope my others do not get it. What Should I watch for? I'm new to this.

Oh my! I only have one left from Hilltop, but the last one who died sounded like sh ehad a respiratory infection. I certainly hope my others do not get it. What Should I watch for? I'm new to this.
Mycoplasma can have many symptoms but some of the main symptoms are eye bubbles, swelling, sneezing, raspy/gurgly breathing, cough, etc. So far the only symptom I have are the two hens with eye bubbles. I’m keeping a closed flock until I can get either a positive or negative diagnosis of this! Trying to see where I can get some testing done.

Back
Top Bottom