Has anyone seen eggs like this before?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by coloradojen, Jul 25, 2014.

1. coloradojen

coloradojen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Milliken, Colorado
    I have 5 hens that lay either green, white, or orange/beige. My rooster cannot get to them. I found these 2 eggs the other day and cannot figure out what happened to them. They were fresh (probably 1 was just laid that day and the other the day before), not sitting out in the sun, one in the nesting box and the other in a corner of their coop with 2 other eggs. They have green but then they show the white and then the circles of the orange/beige. These are the only 2 I have seen. Everyone is very healthy and eating a healthy diet.

Any ideas what happened here or if I should be concerned? Thank you. [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

MyPetNugget has left you with a great link to follow to figure it out. But it looks like the birds ran out of dye and possibly were dehydrated when they laid those. If it was really hot that day or the day before, the quality of the shell can greatly be effected.

Good luck figuring this one out!
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.
  5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Those are called White Banded Eggs (see pic on bottom right row) http://www.alltech.com/sites/default/files/alltech-egg-shell-quality-poster.pdf Quote " These eggs are the result of two eggs
    coming in contact with each other in the shell gland pouch. At this point, normal calcification is interrupted and
    the first egg retained in the pouch will have an extra layer of calcium - seen as the white band marking."
    I find them periodically also, think they are mainly caused by something stressing the hen stopping them from laying the first egg when they normally would.
  6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm glad to see that Kelsie2290 has left you with the information on White Banded Eggs. Based on the colors of eggs your hens lay, it's obvious that you have Easter Eggers. They are my granddaughter's favorite chickens. She loves the colored eggs. Good luck with your flock.
  7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

What happened to your egg's [​IMG]
  8. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Overrun With Chickens

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    You said you think they are fresh but when I find eggs like this, that is usually the side that was down on the ground or somewhere wet.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You have been given good advise and links to find some answers, so I will just say [​IMG]
  10. coloradojen

coloradojen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    Milliken, Colorado
    Thank you for the link. I actually understood what the explanation was about my eggs, as well as learning about another egg I have seen a few times, also. I have shared this link with another friend so he can learn, too. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by