Has anyone seen their hen lay an egg?

HB&B

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Woodlawn, TN
I got up this morning and went to feed and water the chickens with my 16 month old son. We went into the coop and one of our leghorns were in the nest box. So we hung out in the coop for about 15 min or so. And the leghorn laid an egg right in front of us (with my 16 month old yelling and all!
duc.gif
) I was pretty amazed!
droolin.gif
I didnt think they'd do it with us there. I even saw that slimy coating on the egg that dries up in a few seconds. Also Do hens "clean" their eggs? She was rubbing all over it until the slimy stuff dried. Anywho thought I'd share. Curious to see if this is common for people to see.
hu.gif

I've never seen them lay an egg. The thought kinda sickens me
sickbyc.gif
I have no clue if they clean them....maybe IDK we have gotten some pretty gross eggs (they had poo on them
hu.gif
)
Now your making me wanna watch my chickens lay...

I've got a funny story on this subject. First I have to explain the situation.

I have a shelf that is sectioned off to make different nesting areas. My girls all lay in the same nest. When there where more than 1 that wanted to lay they would try to squeeze in or make somebody leave. My Buff Orphington at the time was very vocal. When she was upset everybody knew it.

WELLLLL...
On this particular day there where 2 hens squeezed in the nest and Beautiful , the BO, decided she wanted to lay too so she was verbally bashing the other hens because she wanted them out. Of course they ignored her and sat still. So she laid her egg right in front of them both. The other 2 girls where a SLW and a JG. Beautiful just stood there and dropped her egg in front of the other two and we all know how they just stand there a few minutes. I call it "recovering". While she was recovering the JG reached out and rolled Beautifuls egg under her, then just sat there like nothing happened. When Beautiful turned around to look at her egg it was gone and she really started raising a ruckus. The other two hens just sat there like nothing happened. Beautiful squawked for a good 10 minutes looking for the egg she knew she laid. I wish I had a video recorder when I went out that time because it was definately a keeper. I could have posted the recording instead of writing about it.

Beautiful would give me a verbal bashing everyday when I took her egg. Although she wasn't Broody and wouldn't sit on them she still didn't want me taking them. She would get upset if I took the eggs from the other girls if she was sitting on them. Again, she wasn't broody she would sit on the eggs a little bit after she laid hers then that was it.

Yep, I have.
BTW, the "slimy stuff" is the bloom. I've gotten them out of the nestbox so fresh the bloom hasn't had a chance to dry. I need to learn patience.

Yes. I have had several lay eggs while I had the coop door open and was watching them. I have a few pictures of a hen (Sassy, my BO) standing, "recovering" with her egg wet with bloom. Very cool to be there when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom