Has anyone successfully trained their rooster to not crow on command?

Phoenixxx

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2012
Boutilier's Point, Nova Scotia
I know, I know - I've read it on a million threads here, "It's what roosters do"... I don't mind, the neighbours don't mind, but when it goes on and on and on and on for hours on end, a break would be nice! So, I know chickens are totally trainable as I've trained most of mine to at least get "back in the yard" on command, some to come to their names, and one to fly "up" on command. I'm just wondering if anyone has successfully taught their rooster to "be quiet!/enough!/yes, we hear you, you can stop talking for a minute now!" and, if so, how did you do it? I saw on one thread someone mentioned a squirt bottle (like how people train cats) but there was no mention of whether or not it actually worked. Big Baby #1 aka Mullet-man is destined for the dinner table, but he is the best of my BA roos and I want to breed him first. I'd like to keep my sanity in the meantime, though, lol!

Don't get me wrong here, I DO appreciate the crowing for what it is... The morning wake-up call, the warning call, the "hey, where are you? I'm over here!" or even an afternoon chat with the other boys in the 'hood... but I also do appreciate periods of peace and quiet in-between :D

Yeah we have. I request you to attend our Poultry India Grand Expo Nov this year. Knowledge Day is going to be organized on 26th Nov and you will get to learn all techniques about the Poultry.

Regards,
Poultry India Team

Little suspicious about that #2 post anyway to be honest.

Anyway, as far as training a roo not to crow? The only way I could see this happening is if you were standing right there, all day long, to distract him from crowing each time the moods strikes! I don't see a rooster caring enough nor having the brains and the presence of mind to remember that you do not want him to crow and therefore stop crowing at all hours. I'm sure a squirt bottle would work, in the moment, but as soon as you leave he's going to go back to being a rooster and the first second he gets excited about whatever he's going to pop a crow.

I have seen threads here about having roosters surgically de-crowed.

Little suspicious about that #2 post anyway to be honest.

Anyway, as far as training a roo not to crow?  The only way I could see this happening is if you were standing right there, all day long, to distract him from crowing each time the moods strikes!  I don't see a rooster caring enough nor having the brains and the presence of mind to remember that you do not want him to crow and therefore stop crowing at all hours.  I'm sure a squirt bottle would work, in the moment, but as soon as you leave he's going to go back to being a rooster and the first second he gets excited about whatever he's going to pop a crow.

I have seen threads here about having roosters surgically de-crowed.

No surgery happening here. No shock collars, either (yup, read that thread.) And agree with your first statement. I did try chasing/distraction with the old dominant (who went in my belly last week :lol:) but he'd just run away whilst continuing his crows. The resulting sounds were most comical, though! :gig

I did get Mullethead to quit for a bit by asking him, "listen, do you you want to go on the dinner table tonight? Because I can make that happen!" I swear animals are psychic because he shut up for about twenty minutes after that!:yiipchick but then Greybeard decided the silence meant it was his turn to go off for a while :he Oh, I love my life, ha ha!

Yes, this guy has successfully trained his roosters not to crow since they're in a city setting and need to be quiet. He tells how. http://olychickenguy.blogspot.com/2010/10/005-further-exploration-into-crowing.html

Wow, thanks, that was an AMAZING article! :bow In reflection, based on his chicken psychology, I may be best to leave things as they are. I'm not always around and there are predators here so I need a boss-man in charge of the coop. At least 2, actually: one to care for the "will not be cooped" group and another for the "too lazy to fly out" group. I totally bookmarked that link, though - it was pretty awesome!

Did you have any luck with your rooster? I have read through so many threads on this subject. I remain a little lost. I have an interesting blue Ameraucana mix and I'd love to keep him. This is my first flock and "Chick" turned out to be a "Chico." I am used to dominance training with my dogs and have kind of implemented similar techniques with my guy. He doesn't crow in the early morning hours (which I read on one blog is the responsibility of the head rooster...though I honestly have no idea.) He KNOWS I am THE rooster. I hold him often, I feed him treats last and give him hearty stares when he approaches another hen...it's pretty amazing what these birds understand from just a look.

Side note: I'm introducing a new hen to the flock and my ardent glares (when I am actually around, anyway) keep her from being pecked.

When I hear my roo crow, I immediately go outside, scare him to the coop, catch him, and hold him for period of time (5-10 minutes.) I do so until he acts very docile and ceases to struggle to get away. I play with his hackles, feathers and feet. I glare at him, talk to him, and pet around his face and beak to the point he is calm and seems to enjoy the pets.

He stays quiet for a long time after this treatment. At this point I am doing this twice a day in the early afternoon, which is the only time he attempts to crow outside. He does like to "announce" when his favorite hen friend lays an egg, but that is in the coop and takes place around 8:30 or 9:30 am. I am an injured athlete and have the time on my hands at this point. I am sure a busier schedule could threaten this progress.

I live in a quiet neighborhood that doesn't allow roosters. I think I will write notes to my close neighbors and include my phone number in case the current noise level is too much. I hate to butcher my first roo, but understand it may be inevitable. I also feel it is the most humane way to deal with the situation other than rehoming (no answers to ads for the little man.)

ANY advice or similar experience is MUCH appreciated :)!

Back
Top Bottom