Has anyone tried hatching "Vital Farms" Eggs before?

venymae

Prairie Wind
9 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Manhappiness, Kansas
My Coop
My Coop
Noticed some "pasture raised, humane certified" eggs by "Vital Farms, Alfresco" in the grocery section. They are a BEAUTIFUL dark chocolaty brown. Has anyone tried hatching them before??? How did it go?

Unless it specifies that they are fertilized, they probably are not. The added cost of supporting the roos would certainly be noted. There are pics on this site to help you determine if an egg was fertile after you crack it open.

Yes, i suppose I could crack a few, it's just that, although always Brown, I've never seen them chocolaty and didn't want to break any! I know people have had success at whole foods (unmarked I believe) and trader Joe's (marked fertile) so I thought I would give it a chance.

Marans were likely responsible for those lovely chocolate eggs.

I'd pop a few in the 'bator, it couldn't hurt. Worst case scenario, they're not fertile and you can feed them to your chickens :)

I know this is old, but I put a few vital farms grocery eggs under my hen to get her broody (no intention of trying to hatch but wanted to transfer some incubating eggs under her), and every single one started development.

I cracked them all open after transferring them out. Now I’m kinda mad haha I would have kept her brooding on them.

There was one more left in the same grocery pack. I’m going to try incubating it

I know this is old, but I put a few vital farms grocery eggs under my hen to get her broody (no intention of trying to hatch but wanted to transfer some incubating eggs under her), and every single one started development.

I cracked them all open after transferring them out. Now I’m kinda mad haha I would have kept her brooding on them.

There was one more left in the same grocery pack. I’m going to try incubating it
let us know how it goes!

let us know how it goes!
I doubt they would have made it that far. The reason I thought they were duds and didn’t bother incubating them longer is because the air cells were all bad.

I’ll let you know how this one little egg does! Maybe I had a fluke batch. Their website says they keep their egg hens away from roosters? Seems like someone snuck into the hen house… :lol:

Back
Top Bottom