1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone tried hatching "Vital Farms" Eggs before?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by venymae, Dec 8, 2015.

1. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    Noticed some "pasture raised, humane certified" eggs by "Vital Farms, Alfresco" in the grocery section. They are a BEAUTIFUL dark chocolaty brown. Has anyone tried hatching them before??? How did it go?

2. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Unless it specifies that they are fertilized, they probably are not. The added cost of supporting the roos would certainly be noted. There are pics on this site to help you determine if an egg was fertile after you crack it open.

3. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    Yes, i suppose I could crack a few, it's just that, although always Brown, I've never seen them chocolaty and didn't want to break any! I know people have had success at whole foods (unmarked I believe) and trader Joe's (marked fertile) so I thought I would give it a chance.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Even eggs from whole foods would be marked so, if they were supposed to be fertile.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Marans were likely responsible for those lovely chocolate eggs.

I'd pop a few in the 'bator, it couldn't hurt. Worst case scenario, they're not fertile and you can feed them to your chickens :)

6. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    I broke two open, not fertile. :( but, they did taste good!

7. Laurel Meadows

Laurel Meadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2014
    Ohio
    I found this thread after seeing these eggs myself yesterday at Kroger's and wondering if they're fertile. Just to help others out who may find this- according to Vital Farms website, they do not keep roosters so no fertile eggs from this brand as of now. Glad I didn't spend $6.50 a dozen to try them!!

http://vitalfarms.com/pasture-raised-eggs/faq/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by