Has anyone used Southern Farm Hatchery in Mississippi?

BayouPoules

Songster
10 Years
Aug 13, 2010
Lacombe, Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
We have never gotten chicks from a hatchery before but have learned so much about them here on BYC. There is little info about them( Southern Farm) on their site,.. just the facts. they are close to us and we can pick up chicks or eggs ( DD had decided she wants Austalorps!) and not have them shipped which sounds good to us,.. but we would like to know if anyone has gotten chicks from them and what did you think of them?
Thanks

http://southernfarmhatchery.com/index.php

edited for silly spelling

Last edited:
Quote:
Me too,.. in this heat and humidity here lately it's just got to be awful on the chicks to be shipped!

Since no one has replied to this post,.. I assume the answer is a NO,.. but it's only an hour from us so I think I will make an appointment to pick up a couple of eggs to check them out. If you purchase chicks /eggs from them,.. post what you think.

Is it usual for a hatchery to have a off site pick up location? It does make sense for disease precautions I guess,.. but I sure would like to see where the birds are coming from,...

Just wanted to say that our chicks are now 8 wks old and we are very pleased. Billie at Southern Farm Hatchery was great to work with and out of 8 eggs we got 5 chicks. The Barred Rock is a roo and he is big and healthy and has a good nature. The Black Australorps are good looking, healthy and friendly. I would recommend them any time for hatchery birds. Now I can't say anything about their shipping,. because we drove an hour to pick them up. They are in Kiln, Mississippi.

I'm thinking of going back for more BR in the spring.
tongue.png

I haven't ordered from them yet, but have heard several good comments about them. Haven't heard anything negative yet. Do you have some pictures of their stock you could post? I'm always a bit sceptical about pictures on any hatcheries website or cataloges.

Yep,.got pics,.. will try to get them on this evening,.. got one that has his tail plucked out by the top pullet,. but he's still pretty,. poor dude,. tried to separate them so his tail could grow in,. but he goes nuts for the others,.. well,. he will look like a sissy in an apron,. but that's the way we're headen!
They have a HUGE pond on their property that has cypress trees and cat tails and looks like a picture from a catalog,.. and they say it's full of fish,. but they never go fishing???!!,...
made my knees go week!

I just can't seem to get a good photo of these chickens! There are a couple of warmr days coming and I'm determined to spend some time getting some nice pics,.. until then,. These are a few of our Southern Farms Hatchery chicks at 9 wks.
65410_img_0866.jpg
Rocky
65410_img_0888.jpg

65410_img_0863.jpg
Stella
65410_img_0864.jpg
Ouinita

Mark and Billie are great people.We have done a lot of business with them and have never had any problems. As far as birds go I have only gotten some Silkies and an Old English rooster from them. I had some chocolate OEGB pullets and hunted everywhere looking for a choc roo to go with them. Billie sent me pics of some of their unmatched roosters and she had one in there! He's a nicely built fella.Has some brassing on him,but I will work that out in the babies.They do have Biohazard precautions setup (as we do also) following guidelines not to pass anything onto our poultry from any possible disease or illness. We all work hard to keep our birds healthy and happy,and with the NPIP it is just extra precautionary steps. Many small facilities follow these bio securities as we cannot afford big time decontaminate facilities like the mainstream hatcheries. It is our way of assuring your birds purchased will be healthy.
They do have a very nice place out there. Long drive past a huge pond. They are always out there working on the property,building and such...

Here are a couple pics. The Silkie roo had a long COLD day chasing his women outta the rain....
58523_dscf8125.jpg
58523_dscf8116.jpg

Last edited:
Whiskey Bay, thanks for the input,.. We have found them to be great folks as well and have pretty nice birds for a hatchery. I was hoping to spread the word for those in the area that hadn't heard of them,. not as much variety as some of the bigger hatcheries,. but I think that they are dedicated to quality birds. They are working on a new and bigger barn right now but will soon start hatching again! Ya know,.. she just wanted a couple of guiniea hens for the yard,.. then chicken math took over ,.. now they have a fine hatchery,..
ya just never know where it will lead.....
big_smile.png

I know nothing about the kind of birds in your pics,.. but they sure are pretty!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom