1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Has anyone used this de-icer?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wordgirl, Dec 28, 2013.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    We picked up this (http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/allied-precision-bucket-utility-de-icer/0000000084936) this afternoon, and I'm hoping it'll work. I was wondering if any of you have used this particular de-icer or one similar? It will be de-icing about 3-5 gallons of water in a 15-gal plastic stock tank.

It seems like it could work perfectly for this set-up, but I do have a few things I'm worried might be a problem.

My three main concerns are

1) Burning? I wouldn't think this would get very hot - it's only supposed to keep the water from freezing, not get it hot - and since they said it works in a birdbath (which little birds get into), I'm hoping it'll be okay. It is also safe for use in plastic, so it must not get overly hot. Do you think I need to be careful about this?
    2) the Teflon coating. Again, probably this is fine, but I remember a long time ago reading about how Teflon (perhaps in the air) is bad for small pet birds (the ones you keep in your house :D ). Do you think it's okay for it to be in the ducks' drinking water?
    3) Too much heater for too little water? This de-icer is for up to 15 gallons - is 3 gallons too little water? Some birdbaths are quite shallow, so probably okay?

Thanks! :)

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Hi, wordgirl [​IMG]

Is there a little pamphlet with it? I have not used this kind. Sometimes those sticky details are in the fine print.

Like, the one I got and only used once implies I would need to run a gfci outlet to the duck yard to safely use the thing.

The thought of electrocution cooled my enthusiasm. I would use it to thaw the ice, then take it out before the ducks got in.

3. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    There is a little pamphlet in it - unfortunately I left the box in the coop and it's -4 degrees right now. I'll have to go grab it. Here is an online one, but it's not the exact same thing that's in the box, because I remember looking at it in the store.

http://www.alliedprecision.com/manuals/ag/DT250.pdf

Does the GFCI outlet help also with things like shorting out? (i.e. - if there was a crack in the cord and it was in danger of sparking and setting something on fire?). But, yes - I also saw that "if your animals are being shocked" warning...might be fine for a cow...but probably not for a duck!

Thanks, amiga! I'll try to get that pamphlet and read all the way through it.

4. wordgirl

Apr 14, 2009
    Thanks for your help, Amiga! I ended up returning it because I wasn't sure how to deal with the mess of such a large, low container. So we're just going to keep using a 9-quart heated bucket, which has served the ducks fine so far. :) Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by