1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

has anyone used this type of wire?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by taratrip, Jun 5, 2008.

1. taratrip

taratrip Out Of The Brooder

has anyone used the Apron Fencing on mypetchicken.com? it says there is no need to bury the apron. could this possibly work? i live in a pretty built up area and really only have coons and possums. it would just so much easier on me (husband is not very supportive of the whole chicken idea so i am pretty much on my own!)

2. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Can you post a picture of it or link? Thanks

3. chicks for better health

chicks for better health Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    West Glenville, NY
    I just did the same thing with welded wire. Seems like it is going to work well.

4. taratrip

how do i post the pic?

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
  6. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    I fount it. It looks just like chicken wire. I would guess it is heavier????

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

8. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    I checked into that at one time but it was very expensive for the amount I needed so I just go with hardware cloth and make an apron with that, but I do bury it.
    I think this would work great and it would be a lot easier esp. if cost is not an object! Keep us posted if you do choose it please. We do anything to keep those babies safe ![​IMG]

9. taratrip

thanks guys for the input. not sure what i'm gonna do yet because cost and labor are factors! i'm sure once i get rolling hubby will feel bad and help. [​IMG] hopefully!!
    our ground is pretty soft and sandy so i'm thinking i could probably dig it by myself and save some money. i will definetly let you all know!
    i have another question...can chickens be left alone for like a night or two if we go away and dont have anyone to look in on them? could i leave like lots of extra food and water?

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Our coop is not here ... it's about 5 miles away at FILs house. I go out every couple of days, check on them and refill water and food dishes. The first few days I checked every day to get a feel for how much food and water they were using.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by