has anyone used this type of wire?

Many people use the apron type fencing style with their coops because they live on rocky soil or they just can't dig a trench to bury their wire.

I've actually got a couple of spots that were too hard to dig so we folded our fence outward in that apron style in those places. Personally, I think that it is more possible for a predator to dig underneath the apron and then get into the run but I certainly don't have any stats to back up that thought. I just know that my dog digs and he starts his hole about a foot from the side of the house and then slants his hole toward the house ... so if that were the chicken run he would be able to dig under the apron and potentially end up inside the run.

Having said the above ... most predators dig right next to the fence which is why the apron should be totally effective.

Let us know what you do.

We have a neighbor with a small terrier type of dog. So my weekend project(beside putting up the pool) is going to be stapling chicken wire to the stockade fence and making an apron. I would bury it, but our pet graveyard is over there.
sad.png
Then I will be putting rocks over it and eventually some shrubbery etc.

Where our coop and run are is under the trees. So not only would I have to get through an abundance of rocks I would also have to deal with tree roots. I try not to harm anything living in any way possible. So will be making a LARGE chicken wire apron around the run. Letting the grass grow though and adding some trellis's etc. I just have to remember to use the weed whacker over there and NOT the lawn mower.
smile.png

Last edited:
Rhett&SarahsMom :

Where our coop and run are is under the trees. So not only would I have to get through an abundance of rocks I would also have to deal with tree roots.

haha, you must live at my house! i'm committed to burying the wire for my run, i'm just not sure that the rocks will allow it. think i can rent a jackhammer?
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom