1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

has anyone washed their duck eggs to get better hatch rate?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gemtruker, Jun 4, 2016.

1. gemtruker

gemtruker Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2016
    a long time ago someone told me to put 1 tablespoon of bleach to a gallon of water to wash eggs(lightly). my hatch rate went up to 85%. having poor rates now. not washing eggs. they develop and die in shell. any ideas? Thanks

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    I don't wash mine, and have an 87% hatch rate so far in 2016.

Last 2 hatches were at 100% - but looking at your history washing eggs seems to be better for you. Why'd you stop?

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I wash all my eggs (warm water rinse, nothing else) before incubating. It has never affected my hatch rate
    Personally I think its better that way you don't introduce bacteria into your incubator

4. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We use warm to the touch water and a soft facial brush to remove any surface dirt without destroying the bloom of the egg. My daughter put eggs in without washing them and had an outbreak of bacteria that was fatal but I have always taken the time to wash them and I have had good results hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by