Has Frontline NOT worked for anybody else?

schmije

Songster
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
Peoria, IL
We're at our wits end with fleas this year. I've treated my dogs TWICE with Frontline Plus since we first noticed them, and they're still there. I just talked to my vet, and she said that I'm not the first person to call with this complaint this year. She suggested we try a pill called Comfortis, but it's going to cost $16 per dog per month. Has anybody else experienced this? Does anybody know why Frontline Plus has always worked in the past, and this year it doesn't? I think I'm going to pick up the pills tomorrow and see if I can get some relief for my two itchy dogs.

What size are your dogs?

If a smaller size, just purchase the pill that's double the weight, cut it in half and give 1/2 a pill to each dog. Bada-bing. It works GREAT!

Frontline has never worked for my dogs.

If you have a pretty bad infestation, it takes major diligence on your part, unfortunatley. We had them bad this year, and had to vacuum at least once a day, spray the sofas, curtains, and carpet with a flea premise spray, AND do the Frontline Plus. WHen we were diligent in doing this for 2 straight months, they were finally gone! Man, it was a ton of work!

My feed store said fleas are bad this year in my area of middle W. Washington. We had a long wet spring if that could have anything to do with it.

Last night, I just treated 3 cats and 3 dogs.

I usually only treat when I see them and that's only once or twice during the whole summer. I just treated a month ago.

My solid big white cat doesn't go outside but gets all the fleas from around the house or something because he had quite a few on him last night poor guy.

Frontline does not work in our area anymore for most people. My old vet told me that after 10-15 years the fleas develop an immunity to it. Comfortis seems to work well as does vectra-d for me.

Also it takes three solid months of treating plus all the vacumming, spraying, etc.

We have been fighting a very mild case this year ourselves.

Im in Washington also, and Frontline does not work for us iether. Even with a rotation between topicals... Its been a very frustrating summer for us because of fleas...
duc.gif

Where do you get the pills? Are they something that can be bought over the counter, or do you have to see the vet to get them?

Just thinking of the fleas makes me itch...
hide.gif

I did some research today. Apparently this is becoming a fairly common problem. There are a number of reviews on PetMeds about Frontline Plus working in the past, but not working now. It makes me wonder if they changed the formula to save costs, or maybe they DIDN'T change the formula when they should have. DH called Frontline to complain, and they agreed to refund our money if we're willing to jump through a few hoops. They emphasized that this is a ONE TIME refund, but that's not a problem, because we won't order the product again.

I am picking up Comfortis from my vet tomorrow. It can also be purchased from PetMeds, but I don't know if it requires a prescription like Heartgard. My only concern so far about Comfortis is that it doesn't protect against ticks. We'll have to see how that works out. Hopefully they'll get some relief tomorrow.

Frontline stopped working for me, er, the puppies, last year. I switched over to Comfortis and it works much much better.

I'm also in Western Washington. I have cats not dogs, but I agree Frontline doesn't work. I have better luck with advantage and capstar lately. I have lived here since 1980 and have never seen fleas like they are this year. Fortunately they don't seem to like me.

Imp- but the poor cats. I'm even putting capstar in the feral cat's food.

Back
Top Bottom