Has Roxie been alone to long....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by roxie, Sep 28, 2007.

1. roxie

roxie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2007
    I have a bantam that i rescued. I believe she was an Easter chick that was abandened when she was not longer baby cute.

From her behavoir i suspect that she was an inside the house bird.

Having read that chickens can get lonely, depressed and even die if they do not have some chicken mates to play with, I found a Polish HighHat Bantam friend for her.

It has been a week so far and i can not allow them into the yard together. Roxie goes all out ballistic and attacks. Pulling head dress feathers out of her intended friend.

I have to seperate them using a dog cage kennel that i have.

Is this normal behavour, or is Roxie severly aggressive. Is it possbile she was alone to long?

I look to some insight,

thanks,

Roxie's caretaker

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It is normal since they need to establish a pecking order... make sure they are about the same size and age. Roxie thinks she has an intruder... and unfortunately, the top hatter can't see the attacks coming I bet. I say trim her head feathers so she has a chance against Roxie and eventually they will become friends. It will take time and slow introductions.

3. chickenman7

chickenman7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    TX
    Keep them where you can see each other for about two weeks then try to put them together.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by