Has the feed gone bad?

calicodonna

Chirping
5 Years
Jan 23, 2018
I keep my chicken feed (in the sack it comes in) inside a closed galvanized garbage can in my utility room (on carport). Last week I noticed that my 3 hens weren't eating the feed I put out for them, and also that when I took the lid off the storage can, it smelled terrible. My first thought was that a rat had somehow gotten into the can, it smelled that bad. But of course the can didn't have any pests in it, just the sack of layer pellets. I only have 3 hens, so a 50-pound sack lasts a good while. Did it just get too old, or did the heat (we're in the 90's here and very humid) ruin the feed?

I keep my chicken feed (in the sack it comes in) inside a closed galvanized garbage can in my utility room (on carport). Last week I noticed that my 3 hens weren't eating the feed I put out for them, and also that when I took the lid off the storage can, it smelled terrible. My first thought was that a rat had somehow gotten into the can, it smelled that bad. But of course the can didn't have any pests in it, just the sack of layer pellets. I only have 3 hens, so a 50-pound sack lasts a good while. Did it just get too old, or did the heat (we're in the 90's here and very humid) ruin the feed?
The heat and humidity ruined it IMO.
Can you keep it in your house?

It proably has gone bad. The general rule is if it smells bad throw it away. I try never to use food if it is over 2 months old (this may be a bit different for you, and you live in a humid enviroment).

The heat and humidity ruined it IMO.
Can you keep it in your house?
I don't really have room to keep in house. I guess I may have to resort to buying smaller sacks (even though it's more expensive that way). I didn't realize it could ruin in just a few months.

I don't really have room to keep in house. I guess I may have to resort to buying smaller sacks (even though it's more expensive that way). I didn't realize it could ruin in just a few months.
Yes, it can and the humidity will accelerate that.
You want to use up your milled feed within a month if possible.

I had feed go bad at 5 months old.
It was stored in my house in a spare room near the back door.
My hens also ate way less and egg production dropped drastically.
I smelled the feed and it had a medicine smell. I washed the feeder and filled with fresh feed and egg production came back to normal in a few days.
After that I bought Start & Grow feed in a 25 lb. bag and offered Oyster Shells separately. I only had 3 hens at the time. GC
ETA; I got the Non-Medicated Start & Grow.

Last edited:
Only buy fresh! Check the mill date on each bag, and plan to use it up within two months, or less, from that mill date.
My feed is in metal garbage cans at the coop, in the original bags, on top or a couple of empty feed bags in each can, and the cans are on bricks above the rubber mats on the floor. Everything meant to prevent dampness!
It's worked well for years here, although you might have worse weather. Hate hot and humid!
Smaller bags may cost more, but nothing is more expensive than stuff you have to throw away!
Can you return it to the store? Maybe worth trying?
Mary

Check your date codes when you buy feed. It may have been a couple months old, when you bought it. If you don't know how to read the date codes, post a picture and we can help you.

Back
Top Bottom