Hatch-a-long starting 29th of November

Morning update...
6 out, I could see 3 pips, that leaves 41
106582_img_06261.jpg

We have 8 out now. One put his head down an egg turner hole and got stuck for a while. Poor silly bird. Left him in the incubator to dry out and put the other 7 in the brooder.

Kinda worried that our brooder isn't warm enough for them. We have a light over a recycling bin. Just ran around and found a 2nd light to add. The house is 65, and I don't know how the brooder will retain its warmth. Tips?

lol that is exactly what one of my last hatches did except he managed to flip himself over and practically hang himself lol

I just checked and in 20 minutes three more hatched, dang lol

It's so exciting to see everyone's babies starting to show up!
wee.gif
ya.gif
celebrate.gif

You guys set alot of eggs! lol!

QChickieMama~
Congratulations on your hatch!! Are you new to quail? They are fun and addicting... lol...

Do you have a thermometer that you can check the temps in the brooder?

The babies will help tell you what they need. If they are a tight huddle/pile they are cold! I went in last night to tuck my babies in and found them all in a pile! the bulb had burned out. They will group somewhat but a pile usually means cold.

Only 1/2 of it needs to be warm for them, they need a cool side too so they can regulate their temps. I always put food and water on the cool side.

You can cover it with a towel to help keep the temps in and just leave a few inches open on the cool side for air circulation. But also, do not let the towel touch the light. cover it in a way that the light stays free of the towel for fire safety reasons.

Here's an example of cold. I was adjusting the light on the night I took this pic and they were a little on the cold side.

100_6439.jpg

Here's some of the babies I have hatched out, most of them came from Bill ( Bfrancis )

Wow just realized thats a terrible picture lol, I will get another when they get all dried

photopbx.jpg

Got popcorn going off, 6 out this morning checked after we ate breakfast and there is now 18-20 chicks swarming around the hatcher.

I set 24 eggs ( 18 from Bfrancis ) and I have 11 now and 3 that are pipped, I would be ecstatic if I get 18-20 hatch
big_smile.png

Here are some pics of what I have right now, sorry for the bad quality its kinda hard to get them to hold still lol

They are in a LG incubator that is serving as a "one day brooder" so I can keep them from rolling my other eggs around that are due in a couple weeks lol.

img4125os.jpg

img4126i.jpg

img4127eh.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for the help. Yes, this is our 2nd try. First attempt failed. I think we're getting the hang of it now, hopefully! We have 17 out and they look healthy.

The brooder thermometer says 99-100 right beneath the hotter bulb, and they're moving around to get water in the far corner or to explore. Seems like a happy temp for them.

Back
Top Bottom