Hatch-Along - Eggs set in November, due December, anyone?

rgvchicks
ep.gif
WoooW!!! very nice

*edited: wrong person referred previously

Last edited:
This is my turning schedule... one side of eggs marked with an "o" and other with an "x", I turn 4 times a day with 6 hours intervals... I have to wake up during my sleep to do this
cool.png
you can see that the same side which was upward is upward again after 1.5 days, and the trays are also drawn at right angles which are rotated every 12 hours, and the trays are rotated side to side and then they replace each other after 2 days at 1am so that they get equal heat if there is any imbalance, I print this sheet out (3day schedule) and cut out every time the phase is passed so I don't forget where I stand. This is working for me so I thought I should share, after all "sharing is caring"
wink.png

Hi Candyman,
I am confused, if the eggs are pointy end down in the egg holder in the bator then how can you alternate between "O" and "X" or is this for bators without egg holders and they are just laying on the screen?

thats a nice schedule you got there candyman, it's been almost a year that i stopped turning eggs and i still get a good hatching rate....i set my eggs on plastic trays i bought on ebay and have 3 fans inside my fridgebator for the warm air flow inside, all strays have wholes on the bottom part and the eggs keep warm all around....i would probably get a much better hatching rate if i turned because its always been recomended but there is no one to turn them since my wife and me work....
idunno.gif

by the way i just got my quails out and counted them till now i have 168 baby quails and im about to head out to the fleamarket with 25 pullets, 5 cockerels, and 40 three wk old quails......lets see how it goes.

Last edited:
My first time incubating I didn't have racks or a turner in a rehabbed LG. I figured the hen didn't have Xs and Os so they would all be turned randomly. So I marked the eggs with 1, 2 and 3 thereby giving them a 1/3 turn rather than a 180. The hatch rate was pretty good. Since then I've had a turner.

very nice rgv and I hope it goes great! and thankyou

katsdar my eggs are in the egg cartons and tiltled at about 45 degrees and pointy end down and if you look closely in the photo the "o" is facing upward.

*Edited: I figured out the correct formula of my turning at last
tongue.png

actually its 8 points on the egg.... so once I turn 4/8 and next its 5/8 turn, then 4/8, then 5/8 and so no....

Last edited:
So many things to say!

Katsdar, A staggered hatch would (of course) be cute, but it would also be very difficult for me, since I only have one heat lamp. XDD So I'll have to wait for them all to hatch so I can put them in the brooder, along with my only heat lamp. (I should really get a backup heat lamp, lol)

Candyman, I am going as far as washing my hands AND putting gloves on whenever I turn/candle my eggs. I really don't want to spread germs, as that was the main reason my last hatch failed. :( I also took out a couple bad eggs last night, but I'll talk about that later on...

horsiefly53, That is a lot of hatching going on all at once. It sounds like a lot of fun!
jumpy.gif

ChickenCanoe, My eggs are labelled with capital letters on one side, and lowercase letters on the other. Maybe I will make the letter on the shell be the first letter of their names. :eek:?

Back
Top Bottom