Hatch-Along - Eggs set in November, due December, anyone?

F
Get some silkies or sultans. Maybe some Ameracaunas if you want some colored eggs.
I might get a silkie just for fun, but I want them for the eggs mostly, and I've heard that silkies don't lay many eggs. They are cute though. I probably won't get one. I am thinking between barnevelders and sussexes and maybe amerecaunas for the cool eggs.

I might get a silkie just for fun, but I want them for the eggs mostly, and I've heard that silkies don't lay many eggs. They are cute though. I probably won't get one. I am thinking between barnevelders and sussexes and maybe amerecaunas for the cool eggs.

I would get an ameracauna and a silkie. I get like 4 eggs a week from my silkie yet she just started laying a couple of weeks ago.

Both my ameracaunas turned out to be roosters from this spring. But now I have one of heir chicks or 3 of them and they just might lay different colored eggs.

I would get an ameracauna and a silkie. I get like 4 eggs a week from my silkie yet she just started laying a couple of weeks ago.
Cool! Are they small? Maybe I will get one! But I think a sussex chicken is a definite for me. Hmmm... Maybe I'll get a barnevelder, a silkie, and a sussex! (It all depends on what the hatchery has at the time) Waddaya think? But then I wouldn't be able to hatch any more.....
sad.png
Hmmm decisions, decisions... Maybe I'll get a silkie and then when she gets old enough to go broody, then she will hatch some barnevelders and sussexes from eggs herself! Silkies are s'posed to go broody a lot, correct? A silkie would make a nice companion for Hope!

Cool! Are they small? Maybe I will get one! But I think a sussex chicken is a definite for me. Hmmm... Maybe I'll get a barnevelder, a silkie, and a sussex! (It all depends on what the hatchery has at the time) Waddaya think? But then I wouldn't be able to hatch any more..... :(   Hmmm decisions, decisions... Maybe I'll get a silkie and then when she gets old enough to go broody, then she will hatch some barnevelders and sussexes from eggs herself! Silkies are s'posed to go broody a lot, correct? A silkie would make a nice companion for Hope!

Yes they do. One of my friends has 80 something silkies and she is getting tired of pulling like 15 off the nest each day. I thinks it's kind of funny though. Silkies are small it's a small breed chicken. Not quite a bantam nor a large breed chicken. It's kind of in the middle; like a sultan. I have two of those.

Last edited:
That's funny what breed is she?
She's half rhode island red half white leghorn. Not the way to make a red sex link though. Her father was a white leghorn and her mother was a rhode island red. (To make a red sex link, the male needs to be the rhode island red, and the female has to be the white leghorn- genetic stuff has to do with that) So I couldn't just feather sex her. I'm pretty sure she's a she, because I looked at her feathers and they seemed pretty girl-ish. i have to explain this to people every time they ask so they know that just cause she's yellow, doesn't mean she's a male (cause the male red sex links are yellow, and the females are reddish) She's a mutt. :D A very cute one!
love.gif
Maybe she is actually a he. Who knows! Here's a pic of her feathers when she was two days old:

Yes they do. One of my friends has 80 something silkies and she is getting tired of pulling like 15 off the nest each day. I thinks it's kind of funny though. Silkies are small it's a small breed chicken. Not quite a bantam nor a large breed chicken. It's kind of in the middle; like a sultan. I have two of those.
Cool. Are they fluffy like a pursian cat?

She's half rhode island red half white leghorn. Not the way to make a red sex link though. Her father was a white leghorn and her mother was a rhode island red. (To make a red sex link, the male needs to be the rhode island red, and the female has to be the white leghorn- genetic stuff has to do with that) So I couldn't just feather sex her. I'm pretty sure she's a she, because I looked at her feathers and they seemed pretty girl-ish. i have to explain this to people every time they ask so they know that just cause she's yellow, doesn't mean she's a male (cause the male red sex links are yellow, and the females are reddish) She's a mutt. :D A very cute one! :love Maybe she is actually a he. Who knows! Here's a pic of her feathers when she was two days old:
Looks like a girl her flight feathers seem to be the same length.

I have 2 RIR ameracauna mix and 1 white leghorn ameracauna mix and 3 sultan silkie mixes. 3 days after I placed them into the incubator my sultan hen started to lay purebred eggs. I was mad a little bit. There's always next time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom