Hatch-Along - Eggs set in November, due December, anyone?

how is everyone's babies doing? Course they are not babies anymore, mine are laying and going broody, I had to stitch a 2 day old chicks back up today, it gets easier and I'm not squeamish anymore, I didn't feel a thing
big_smile.png
. I keep on hand saline solution for cleaning the wounds (eye wash is great already in a squeeze bottle) betadine for infection and antibiotic salve for after, I have used super glue to stitch my dog up before, I shaved and really cleaned the wound saved on a vet bill and it healed up very nicely.

how is everyone's babies doing? Course they are not babies anymore, mine are laying and going broody, I had to stitch a 2 day old chicks back up today, it gets easier and I'm not squeamish anymore, I didn't feel a thing
big_smile.png
. I keep on hand saline solution for cleaning the wounds (eye wash is great already in a squeeze bottle) betadine for infection and antibiotic salve for after, I have used super glue to stitch my dog up before, I shaved and really cleaned the wound saved on a vet bill and it healed up very nicely.
My Hope just recovered from a traumatic head wound! She is out in the coop (with its new run!!) now, and the rest of the chickies are fine.
wink.png
Laying eggs. Sophie laid her first egg right in front of me in my towels. The rooster kept pestering her so I took her inside and once I plopped her down and once she was content, she just pushed it out right in front of me!!!

Hope the day after she got hurt:

And this one was taken a week ago:

Glad she's all better now. :)

Bad Bad wound 3D. Good that she recovered!
Mine also are laying, one of them got broody but started breaking eggs and pooing over the eggs, maybe she's not yet ready for a long time commitment :p

Kat is daring that she give the surgical care to her animals... I gotta learn that (and have the heart to do it
wink.png
)

Bad Bad wound 3D. Good that she recovered!
Mine also are laying, one of them got broody but started breaking eggs and pooing over the eggs, maybe she's not yet ready for a long time commitment :p

Kat is daring that she give the surgical care to her animals... I gotta learn that (and have the heart to do it
wink.png
)
It gets easier. Just have your chicken surgical kit on hand. I make sure the wound is cleaned good before I put the stitches in and cover it with antibacterial salve and just keep an eye on it for infection.

Hello everyone how are we fairing the winter? My girls are good they are the old hens of the yard now have had 2 batches behind them, would love to hear how everyone is doing

You remember my turkeys I had two, well they were very good we had one at thanksgiving and the other at Christmas. I butchered them myself, the first time I have ever done anything like that was not even sure if I could but I knew once I started I had to finish. I was going to let someone else do it but then I wanted to make sure they were done with care and humanely so I took care of the job. I plan on raising more next year.

Hello katsdar :)
Good to hear from you. And 'yum yum' the turkeys, I plan to raise some for meat too but I have space problems right now :(
My chicken are doing good too, the chicks I hatched had started laying but are not good layers, the crossing didn't go so good.

Hello katsdar :)
Good to hear from you. And 'yum yum' the turkeys, I plan to raise some for meat too but I have space problems right now :(
My chicken are doing good too, the chicks I hatched had started laying but are not good layers, the crossing didn't go so good.
Hi, Good to hear from you too, sorry to hear the crossing didn't work out so good, I am getting more turkeys, sold all of my chickens my neighbors kept stealing my eggs and leaving me none so my husband is building me a good house that is people secure, crazy no crawling predators just the 2 legged kind, would have given my eggs away if they asked oh well live and learn but had great success with the turkeys. Stay warm and safe

Hi, Good to hear from you too, sorry to hear the crossing didn't work out so good, I am getting more turkeys, sold all of my chickens my neighbors kept stealing my eggs and leaving me none so my husband is building me a good house that is people secure, crazy no crawling predators just the 2 legged kind, would have given my eggs away if they asked oh well live and learn but had great success with the turkeys. Stay warm and safe
People are stealing your eggs?!?! Crazy!
I have gotten rid of my rooster because my hens have bare backs and he had caused one particular hen to hide in the nesting box all day out of fear. He was too aggressive to keep so someone came here and took him away. I am much more happy to have him gone. I bet his crowing made the neighbors annoyed also. I now have 4 hens, which is what my coop was built to have, so I am all good here. I fixed my camera yesterday. It was broken for almost a year (felt like a year anyway) and I fixed it by throwing it around. I swear that is the best way to fix things when you have given up on them!
lol.png
It had a lens error or something. So maybe later today if I remember I will get some recent pictures of them and put them up on here.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom