Hatch-Along - Setting eggs this weekend (Jan5/6) WHOS WITH ME!

I've been hatching shipped eggs in my hovabator for 2 years, with greatly mixed success. I occasionally get a 60% hatch rate, but no better. I've also had total disasters. On my first hatch of last year I only got 4 chicks out of 38 eggs. It was heartbreaking, and a waste of money. Things that I have noticed that help: the shorter the shipping distance the better, arranging to pick up the box at the post office (my mailman was always rough with the package), don't turn the eggs for the first 5 days...that's right...5 days. I read a research article about it. I'll try to find the article.

I now try to avoid shipped eggs entirely if possible. I was pretty excited to find a Marans breeder 30 minutes away.
I thought about avoiding shipping eggs also this will be my first time with them, I am very nervous. I have heard so many varying results with shipped eggs. My last batch of local eggs turned out fantastic so I thought id give it a go with shipped eggs. If this hatch fails I will just have to drive long distances to buy some eggs for hatching.

Im so glad so many hatching pals have joined me this very cold January to hatch some babies together
highfive.gif
. I am so excited to see what everyone sets. Im going to take pics when the eggs arrive and once I set. Im expecting a variety of colored eggs Im stoked and cant wait get them!

Everyone dont forget the pics
big_smile.png

Pics, yes, lots of pics. I learn all sorts of things from folks that take photos of how it's supposed to be done so I can look at what I have and say, uh oh.

The not turning for 5 days is something I read about in a couple of other threads and it makes sense to me. This is my first hatch so, I think I'm going to give that a try. My eggs are being shipped from Texas and that's quite a ways actually so they could probably use a good that treatment.

Good luck to all of us!

Pics, yes, lots of pics. I learn all sorts of things from folks that take photos of how it's supposed to be done so I can look at what I have and say, uh oh.

The not turning for 5 days is something I read about in a couple of other threads and it makes sense to me. This is my first hatch so, I think I'm going to give that a try. My eggs are being shipped from Texas and that's quite a ways actually so they could probably use a good that treatment.

Good luck to all of us!
My eggs are coming from far also. Shipping from Montana to New Hampshire. 5 days of no turning huh? Ill have to read up on that.

I think it will be here. I'm on my way to find fresh fertile eggs!
Wheeeeee!
lol. I wish it was as simple as walking up and down our streets collecting hatching eggs from neighbors. Im not so lucky to have like minded neighbors. I do however have a family a few roads away that I noticed had silkies, I thought about knocking on their door
hide.gif
Think theyd find that odd.

If you read long enough through the forums here, your head will spin with everyone's opinion (including mine
tongue.png
) on the best way to do everything. I think the best you can do is just keep trying, and take good notes. Everyone's hatch is different. There are so many factors. I've always been envious of folks here who get great hatches from shipped eggs. I've never been quite so lucky. Maybe my new bator will help!

Back
Top Bottom