Hatch Date - - November 3 - -> Anybody Hatching With Me ? ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by math ace, Oct 25, 2010.

1. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    If there is a thread already started - - point me that way - ->

OTHERWISE, Are you hatching with me ? ?

I am a first time incubator with a homemade incubator and would love some company during the last 1 1/2 weeks.

I have delawares and Black / Blue copper marans Eggs.

There are 36 eggs and I just candled the delawares this weekend. . . .EVERYTHING is good to go !

2. Sterlingc27

Sterlingc27 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2010
    Ghio, NC
    Im a little farther north but i am also having a late fall Hatch. 30 Black Swedish Ducks. This is my second Hatch but with the fluctuating night and day temps i dont know what will happen. It was 35 two nights past and then warmed up to 78 and last night it was 65. SO sometimes im a few degrees above or a few below 99.5. Anyway great luck, Let's hope we have many pretty birds in the yard this spring!

3. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    First time with our incubator and my Dh had the differential set too large on the thermostat. So we had sometime with lows of 97 and highs of 102. Now it is running smoothly at 99 - 101.

I candle the delawares - - -can not see through the marans - - and either saw large solid masses or movement. So, I think I good for live births. I am just hoping I didn't cause any deformities.

4. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] Hi math ace,
    Just discovered my black sikie is sitting on 11 eggs
    since last week so maybe I will have some new fuzzy butts
    about nov. 3 Dh didint want any new hatches so My bator
    is put away.
    but he dosent know about my little cuddles [​IMG]
    and her nest. LoL
    I have her with a beautiful white silkie roo.
    Iam hoping, she does a good job
    I have to watch the weather, rain chilly
    and windy here today.
    Happy hatching. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. toby5

toby5 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    TN
    Hi!!
    I am a first timer with this also. I have 6 eggs I put in the incubator and are due Nov. 3. They are Black Tailed Jap Bantams.
    Its the only ones I had that could poss. be fertile. I candle at 7 days and all put one look to be good. I am going to check
    again this wed. and see. Very excited hope all goes well [​IMG]

6. tallyho

tallyho Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    I have some cochin eggs in the incubator due on the 5th. There are 10 that look hopeful. I'm not counting on all 10 to hatch, what would I do with 10 LF cochins.? I might have to let them move into the house and we move to the coop! I candled yesterday and it was getting hard to see inside the eggs. It was interesting to see the variation in the eggs from the same breed of chicken..size, shell color and density.

My incubator is running 99.5 - 100 but I had a few fluctuations to 98 and 102 for only a few hours. The weather here in the PNW is flaky too and it messes with the accuracy of the temp in the 'bator. I'm also going with what the experienced people here say and running with about 40% humidity until day 18. My only other hatch was with a broody and it's sooo much easier. However, I don't know what's worse being at the mercy of the broody or the incubator. She was a good mom but gave me a few startles. It was her her 6th broody episode so I knew she was desperate, but you never know with those 1st time moms and the then there were the other chickens to contend with.

This whole thing is very exciting. I can't wait for the fuzzies! I hope I don't become an addict.

7. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I have some due around the 1st and then again on the 7th so I am ahead and behind you. LOL [​IMG]

8. ROC4K

ROC4K Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I'm a little later on the ninth....much colder nights up here. We are waiting on snow. These hatchlings will be cold blooded.[​IMG] Happy pips and zips!

9. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:My last hatching was with a 1st time mom. She was sitting on 4 eggs. She killed the first two chicks as soon as they hatched. The third survived and the 4th never hatched. So, I had a 25% success rate with a 1st time broody. . . I hope I do better than that with the incubator.

There are 36 eggs in the homemade incubator - - so, if I lose 50% it will still be a large hatching compared to the last time go around.

10. math ace

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    Quote:I am hatching marans and was advised to run 40 - 50% until day 18. I've gone slightly under that for a couple of hours a few times.

The only thing stopping me from becoming addicted is the manual turning - - - sucks big time !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by