Hatch Day! Please help with the first 3 days...

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So I have a few eggs, all showing signs that they will hatch, but we'll see. Today should be the day. I have my brooder ready, and I know the temps I need for the first week and moving forward. I'm using pine shavings for litter, medicated feed and will be providing clean water a few times per day. But mostly, I'm still unsure about the first 3 days, starting with as the first 1 of 3 hatches, and what to do from there. So I could use some help.

Interested in hearing about how long to keep them in the incubator...should I remove each one as they hatch, or wait until they've all hatched so I don't open the bator? Straight water at first, or some kind of sugar water mixture?

Also, is there some procedure I must go through? Wash them off? When do I do the head dip into the water? Right when I introduce them to the brooder?

Any kind of simple, numbered first days walk through would really be helpful.

I'm so thankful for this community!

Anyone? They're pipping and rocking! Time is short
tongue.png

I take them out every 6 hours, the dry ones, because more than that and you are risking shrink wrapping your other hatchlings by opening the incubator and dropping that humidity. I dip each ones beak in water as soon as they are in the brooder, and tap tap tap on the feed dishes with my finger (you are their Mama, and your finger is your beak) to show them that this is food and good to eat. Just take them out, put them in the brooder, dip their beaks peck at their food, and enjoy the mischief.

Don't be worried about how much they sleep, hatching is hard work and they are going to be POOPED for a while. They will just randomly fall down asleep for a few days, it is totally normal.

I put kitchen paper over the shavings for the first two weeks to prevent played legs and to strengthen their legs. It's also alot easier to clean up! Same here on removing them from the incubator.....I only left them in for a max of 6 hours, dipped their beaks, tapped the food dish and they are now just under 6 months and laying away!

maybe the incubator/hatching is a better section for you at the mo
smile.png

Last edited:
Once the hatching begins, I do not remove the bator until most all are hatched. Then, I do so QUICKLY, and I always leave one behind...that one left behind peeping may sometimes stimulate the remaing eggs that have pipped their air cells to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom