Hatch Due Dec 29th - Still Nothing

Nathan

Songster
11 Years
Dec 10, 2008
Camas, WA, USA
I put 48 eggs in the incubator Monday. 29 Rhode Island Red, 19 Barred Rock from a local source. Much more than I need, but we'll see what hatches.

19675_incubatorday2.jpg

I don't have a good way to measure humidity. I have a Radio Shack transmitter, but it won't fit inside with all the eggs.

From my memory of using the TopHatch incubator, I need to fill the water reservoir to get to 50-55%. To get it higher for hatching, I've generally had to add sponges.

I may try "candling for humidity" as suggested.

Further updates as event warrant.

Last edited:
Coming up on Day 4.

I've added a reptile cage hygrometer to the inside. Humidity is about 50% with the water underneath the eggs filled. I've seen temperature read from 98 to 102 with the Egg Temp. I'm a little concerned about the temperature swings, but my adjustments may just cause more swings.

Candled a few eggs last night. Conclusion: it's too early to candle eggs. At the least, though, there is no sign of fractures from when the hygrometer fell off the inside wall.

I hope you get a good hatch! I've learned from my few hatches, that if the bator has a thermostat and you get the right temp HANDS OFF!
lol.png
I know it's hard! don't 4get to add candling pics once you can see anything, I'd say day 7 or 8 but it's best to wait (I usually can't!)

I misread the humidity gauge. It is staying at 41% most of the time with the reservoir full and doesn't go higher.

I'll leave at that unless I discover more action needed from candling.

I candled tonight (day 7) and had the most luck so far.

Of 48 eggs, I found:
-36 that appear to be developing, ie , have veins. Some are more certain than others.
-5 that may be yolkers.
-7 more that I am not sure about.

I've numbered them all and kept the notes, so I will know which ones to check back on.

Air cells are about the size of the candler opening, so I'll be comparing that to the size of a quarter once I have that much cash.

I candled decisively today, and I don't have much good news.

I discard 15 eggs out of 48. Some the ones left aren't sure things either, although some look very healthy.

There were maybe four that wer Yolkers, and a large number with definite blood rings. The ones I opened showed a definite blood ring on the inside, with a small chick that wasn't moving. My six year old daughter didn't like us opening them.

Mortality is higher among the Rhode Island Reds than the Plymouth Barred rocks, although they were also in different sections of the incubator.

I'm hoping for the best possible hatch from those remaining.

Last edited:
It is a Brower TopHatch 120.

I don't know where you can get it locally, but you can get it from online stores such as Double R supply or eBay.

Well, there may not be any hatch to report.

Today, the temperature dropped to 92 for no reason that I could tell. It is cold outside but still 71 in the room.

I've replaced the lightbulb and turned the thermostat up as far as it will go ( I hear the click). It doesn't seem to go above 93.

The thermostat has probably gone bonkers.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom