Hatch Problem?

Khelms829

Chirping
Aug 27, 2021
I am at day 22 and this egg has been attempting to hatch for the last several hours. It looks like the membrane is drying out and I’m worried it could be stuck? Any advice?

Attachments

• 2BEADC16-85C4-4412-99DB-A149AEADC317.jpeg
    2BEADC16-85C4-4412-99DB-A149AEADC317.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 8
I am at day 22 and this egg has been attempting to hatch for the last several hours. It looks like the membrane is drying out and I’m worried it could be stuck? Any advice?
when did you first notice the external pip?

Have any of the others hatched yet?

That actually looks more like blood than drying to me. Do you have a hygrometer, if you do what is the reading?

That actually looks more like blood than drying to me. Do you have a hygrometer, if you do what is the reading?
It pipped around 10:00 am, around 15 hours ago. It really started hatching about 6 hours or so. The hygrometer says it 60%. I did notice a very slight amount of blood, no more than a drop.

There were 2 others that hatched just fine, yesterday. I took them out before this one pipped

It pipped around 10:00 am, around 15 hours ago. It really started hatching about 6 hours or so. The hygrometer says it 60%. I did notice a very slight amount of blood, no more than a drop.
your humidity is good. It's up to you if you'd choose to assist or not at this point. Personally I don't assist. I used to, but generally if they can't get out on their own there's a good reason, and it'll mess with you if you help and it dies. :/

But if you do want to help, this article is extremely helpful : https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Usually you'd want to wait until 24 hours after the external pip.

your humidity is good. It's up to you if you'd choose to assist or not at this point. Personally I don't assist. I used to, but generally if they can't get out on their own there's a good reason, and it'll mess with you if you help and it dies. :/

But if you do want to help, this article is extremely helpful : https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/

Usually you'd want to wait until 24 hours after the external pip.
We helped it out most of the way and then put it back in the incubator. Should we be worried about the blood?

Sorry it was late I fell asleep. It's hard to tell if it was attached or not. Is your chick up and moving around now? If it has anything hanging out that's attached you can stick it to the underside of it's belly.

Sorry it was late I fell asleep. It's hard to tell if it was attached or not. Is your chick up and moving around now? If it has anything hanging out that's attached you can stick it to the underside of it's belly.
It’s up and teetering around a little but it still seems unsteady. It’s still in the incubator and I’m trying to give it a little more time because I’m sure it has a traumatic entry so it may be exhausted.

Back
Top Bottom