Hatch Problem?

Sounds like it's doing well then. They're usually slower to get on their feet.
One more question for you. I’m at the end of day 22 and there are still 2 eggs, they are Black Maran eggs so VERY dark, that have not pipped or done anything. I candled all the eggs before they went into lockdown and I have the air sacks marked but due to darkness of the eggs I never clearly saw much in the line of chick development. Any suggestions on what I should do to see if there is a live chick?

This is the 2nd hatching I’ve ever done. The first one at the end of August I ended up with 7 out of 8. That hatching they started hatching within 24 hours of going into lockdown (so the end of Day 19) and were done within 24 hours. I kept the temperature during that incubation to 100.5 (that was the temperature recommended to me at the feed store) but as I researched and read I’ve found that temp is what caused them to hatch early. Since it isn’t recommended to hatch early this time I tried to maintain the temperature to 99.5.

FYI I moved the latest baby in with the other 2 chicks!! It’s nice and toasty in there at 93 degrees

Attachments

• A471EBCD-7393-41CC-B1EF-89BDBB35EF92.jpeg
    A471EBCD-7393-41CC-B1EF-89BDBB35EF92.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 1
If they've been stuck, they may be uncoordinated for a few days.

Keep an eye on your pipless Marans.

If you see no movement from a candle or cannot hear them, you could float-test the eggs and move on to an exploratory pip.

For water, you want it warm and completely still. Lower the egg with a spoon.

What you want to see is the egg moving on its own or at least floating somewhat sideway - not straight up and down. Pat the egg dry afterward.

If it had no movement, make a small crack into the air cell side and expand slowly if there are no signs of movement. Try to find the chicks head and determine if it is malposition.

If at any point you see or detect movement, put it back in the brooder and wait. If much if the shell has been excavated, use antibiotic ointment on any exposed membranes to moisten it back up and to kill any surface bacteria.

If it ends up getting to this point, let us know.

Hatching is a slow process and I always wait till they are well overdue before stepping in, and even then, giving ample opportunities for them to get things done on their own, only helping when they are well and truly stuck.

Personally I'd skip the float test and make a safety hole.

If you make it just barely big enough to see in with a flashlight you should be able to see if there's movement.

The internal membrane will look opaque and white. But the chick should be wiggling at least a little bit.

I normally have chicks hatch within a 24 hour period, but, I've had chicks hatch from day 21-25 in the same clutch. I'd give them some time. Since they are dark eggs it'll be hard to tell from candling. I always err on the side of give them time. I alot of people intervene too early, and end up on here trying to fix a disastrous situation. That said, some are more hands-on with hatching, and dont have many issues, so it's ultimately your call.

On a side note, is the entire brooder 93 degrees, or do they have a cool spot to regulate their temperature? I'm glad the little chick is doing well. Good luck with the rest.

If they've been stuck, they may be uncoordinated for a few days.

Keep an eye on your pipless Marans.

If you see no movement from a candle or cannot hear them, you could float-test the eggs and move on to an exploratory pip.

For water, you want it warm and completely still. Lower the egg with a spoon.

What you want to see is the egg moving on its own or at least floating somewhat sideway - not straight up and down. Pat the egg dry afterward.

If it had no movement, make a small crack into the air cell side and expand slowly if there are no signs of movement. Try to find the chicks head and determine if it is malposition.

If at any point you see or detect movement, put it back in the brooder and wait. If much if the shell has been excavated, use antibiotic ointment on any exposed membranes to moisten it back up and to kill any surface bacteria.

If it ends up getting to this point, let us know.

Hatching is a slow process and I always wait till they are well overdue before stepping in, and even then, giving ample opportunities for them to get things done on their own, only helping when they are well and truly stuck.
So what if the egg seems to sink but appears to be moving??

Back
Top Bottom