Hatch, Raise, and Release Questions

BigMike0601

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Hi,

Years and years ago I use to be part of a group that hatched, raised, and released mallards on game preserves for hunting purposes. I have two young children now (2 and 5) and want to repeat that process, for their benefit, to then release on our creek. Originally I was thinking to stick with mallards, but now im wondering about other ducks that are native, but no readily present in our area (Lower Delaware). Species like wood ducks, green & blue winged teal, gadwalls, pintails, etc.

I don't see any native fertile eggs or chicks for sale when doing a quick google search other than mallards. I'm just wondering if I can do a mixed bag this spring to make things more interesting. Can someone either point me in direction to breeders of other native ducks or fill me in on the reasons why they aren't for sale?

My kids putting out raindeer food to guide Santa.

Here's the link for Murray McMurray Wood Ducks. Though I don't know if you want to buy a pair of ducks for $156??
ep.gif

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/juvenile_wood_ducks.html

This hatchery sells a huge variety of ducks.

Sorry, I missed that point. In the case of Wood Ducks I'm assuming that eggs aren't sold because of the sheer expense of the ducks themselves with varieties ranging from $150-$500 per pair. If someone had them it would be highly more profitable to sell ducklings versus eggs.

Wood ducks are very difficult to hatch for the newbie! Id stick with mallards for now and put some wood duck nest boxes up on your creek.

Wood ducks are very difficult to hatch for the newbie! Id stick with mallards for now and put some wood duck nest boxes up on your creek.

Looks like i'm going to have to. The only native North American duck eggs I can find are mallards. I also sent an email to Fish & Game as I want to make sure i'm allowed to release them into the wild by law. I seem to recall this being a sticky issue for those outside of stocking their game preserves.

Looks like i'm going to have to. The only native North American duck eggs I can find are mallards. I also sent an email to Fish & Game as I want to make sure i'm allowed to release them into the wild by law. I seem to recall this being a sticky issue for those outside of stocking their game preserves.
How do you do this if you hatch the ducklings they will be imprinted on you and will rely on you to feed them.

Nah! Ive released many wild breed ducks into the wild and they do just fine! Wild breeds dont imprint nearly as much as domestics. Its in their dna to be self sufficient!

Back
Top Bottom