hatch rate?? pics of bator and eggs*******

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joe17, May 23, 2010.

1. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I bought 2 dozen eggs from Bobbi Porto. SO she shipped them from FLorida to Louisiana. She sent them on Tuesday and all 24 are not cracked. I have only 2 will completely detached air sacs and I have like 4 with partially detached air sacs. I let them set for 24 hours and I am not turning them the first two days. I have a brinsea and the eggs are standing upright at 99.5 degrees and at 45% humidity. People say that with shipped eggs your hatch rate is 50%. I dont think that I will get 12 chicks! Last time I ordered eggs off of ebay from some silkie breeder and got 1 out of a dozen and the one that hatched had a deformed hock joint. Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Out of the 4 dozen silkies from Bobbi, I hatched 7 chicks.

3. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Where are you from?! Ohhhhhhh I am soooooo nervous [​IMG] I sure hope I get atleast three. What incubator do you have? Did you have any incubation problems?

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I got 24 shipped, no detached air cells, 20 to lockdown and 15 hatched. One hatched and died, three died in shell, one after internally pipping. So, whatever 15 of 24 is percentage-wise isn't bad, even for non-shipped eggs I think! And of the four that didn't make it to lockdown, three early quitters and one infertile.

5. crazy4hens

crazy4hens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Marathon, Wi
    Dont feel bad, I got 20 eggs from Eggbid and only 3 hatched....and 8 were black copper marans and I got 1.

I am trying again, same breeder but Buff Orphs, I did however in the last batch just let them lay on their sides, I have a borrowed Brinsea 20 and then realized that you should have the eggs Big end up, oh well first timer, hopefully this will go better:))

Tracy

6. joe17

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Im glad some people have had good hatch rate with Bobbi's eggs. I sure hope I get a couple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by